bathroom bookclub

Splinters of light cut through the slants of the bathroom blinds.
However, Rhea angled her head in defiance to the rising sun she still found herself partially blinded.
She elongated her body in a morning stretch.
Unsure of the time but aware she had been sitting in the bath too long by the way her body ached in protest to the hard porcelain of the tub.
She angled her head to the side. Her Auburn hair fell over the edge as she peered down at the clay ashtray to count the butts.
3.
3 cigarettes before the sun had risen. Not exactly a record but a little concerning considering she was sober.
She set the weighted hardback in her hand onto the freezing tile floor.
Coated by the early morning cold air.
The rebound of the chill on the floor reminded her that she herself was actually quite cold sitting in the apartment's bath all morning.
She steadied a hand against the side to get up from her position.
Getting a satisfactory release in the sound of the sleep cracking off her bones.
She was dressed too scarcely for this time of the year.
An oversized zip-up she'd "borrowed" was poor attire in the freezing apartment.
It wasn't exactly a dump but as two students with bad credit and not nearly enough saved it was good enough.
It was furnished nicely. Bits of upcycled and found pieces decorated the humble flat. Stacks of books against walls. Odd Cups of half-drank coffee in mismatched mugs. Posters and paintings wherever they could fit. It wasn't exactly what they wanted. It wasn't the ideal by far. But it was good enough.

"And where were you?"

Archer emerged from the room. His voice was still seasoned with sleep. Husky as they were the first words of the morning. Rhea always savoured that thought.
That his first words each morning were hers.
His hair was barely ever out of place it was entirely unfair that with a shake of his head or a run-through of his hand could make it look good as new.
He did this just as she thought it.
Raising a drowsy had unconsciously to do so as if it was second nature.

"What if I told you I was reading in the bath again."

Rhea smiled almost guilty. It had become a habit now when she was up too early. To sneak off with a pack and a book she'd read before sometimes even with a cup of coffee.

Archer raised his eyebrows at and shook his head.

"Just because it's January and it's too cold for the balcony. That doesn't mean the bathroom is a smoking area."

He walked over to her and ran a hand through her hair.
It was different from how he did on his own. Gentle.

She looked up at him and feigned innocence.

"And how do you know I was smoking this morning."

He lowered his head so they were looking eye to eye.
And went in for a polite greeting of a kiss.
Faintly against her lips, parted in half protest.

He emerged from this and chuckled a little to himself.

"Well you were either smoking or I'm very concerned about your morning breath."

"You're just jealous 'cause I didn't invite you."

She smiled sweetly at her boyfriend who was already walking towards the French press by the island.
He opened the dark green cupboard and retrieved the coffee grounds.

"Don't worry I know you're little bathroom book club I'd set for one. " He laughed back at her lovingly.

He started to make the coffee filling up the rusted electric kettle they got at a car boot sale for 2 pounds.
He set it down to boil on its hob.
He then continued.

"I'm just worried you'll catch a cold dressed in nothing but MY hoodie in there."

Archer turned around as he said this accusingly.

Rhea smiled back at him accustomed to him wanting her pyjamas (his clothes).

"Oh you mean my bed top she said." Fondling the collar of the hoodie.

"I actually like that one too. Come on it doesn't even fit." He pretended to seem annoyed although he was well used to this.

He gestured at the way it hung off her.
Not fully zipped showing off her pointed shoulders falling down just below her thighs.

She put her hands on her hips letting the fabric bunch and reveal the outline of her waist.

"I think it makes a perfectly acceptable nightgown." She grinned.
"Your ridiculous, just steal some pants at least I don't want you freezing love its too fucking cold in here."
He looked at her half smiling.
He could barely fake being annoyed

She sighed at him pouting childishly.
She went into their bedroom one of the three rooms in the whole apartment
And pulled out a pair of comfy-looking flannels from his drawer as well as her own pair of real wool socks.
Horribly unstylish but undeniably comfy.

"Save me some coffee!" She called out to the kitchen.

"Your cups out already. Did you finish a whole pot this morning!?"

"Yeah, but I need more to stay awake." She called out desperate.

No reply came and she shuffled into the warmer clothes. Picking up a brush from the vanity and quickly ran it through her hair, a little matted from both the bed and bathtub. She always felt better after brushing her hair. It was one of those small insignificant things that brought her down to earth just a little.

The door swung open to Archer holding a cup in each hand. One fat blue mug with a cow painted abstractly on it and another green one with floral details all over.
This was another small insignificant thing. They had hardly bought any new things when they moved in. Mugs came in all shapes glasses in all colours and plates in all sizes. Whatever was colourful or funky or patterned came home with them from thrift stores and flea markets.

"You're such a junkie I swear to god." He set the coffee down on the vanity table.