Machinery for Small Scale Cashew Nut Processing Unit

With the advent of automation in cashew processing at the start of the twenty-first century, the raw cashew nut processing sector has advanced quickly.

Unit processes such as bulk steam humidification, tray drying, and steam roasting of RCN have turned the industry from a cottage level to a mechanised one, allowing processors to build up huge capacity units.

Mechanised shelling has spared workers from the dangerous and detrimental consequences of CNSL. Furthermore, peeling mechanisation has increased output and speed by enabling tedious, labor-intensive hand peeling.

The labor-intensive, hard-to-find, highly skilled labour requirements for grading have been replaced with optical colour sorters, which grade and sort kernels accurately and quickly. This has made it possible for us to immediately pack sorted cashews for export while adhering to strict export quality criteria.

Cashew shelling, peeling, grading, and packing can now be done with a minimum of labor—roughly 6.5 to 0.75 workers per bag of 80 kg of input RCN—thanks to mechanisation.

The ability to rely less on highly trained and specialised labour has allowed African nations to heavily encourage cashew processing as a means of increasing the value of RCN harvested.

Mechanisation has advanced to the point that it can meet the need for skilled labour and/or reduce dependency on it while increasing productivity. Furthermore, by the simple use of mechanisation and contemporary technology, it has greatly aided the new African processors in making up for the years they have lost in processing skill understanding.

The mechanisation of the cashew industry greatly increased employment prospects, added value to the raw cashew nuts that were gathered, and generated foreign exchange for the nation, boosting GDP.