FORTY-ONE, HERMIONE PUNCHES MALFOY!

CASSIE FROWNED AS SHE LOOKED OVER AT Hermione, who was holding out the letter Hagrid had wrote to her

CASSIE FROWNED AS SHE LOOKED OVER AT Hermione, who was holding out the letter Hagrid had wrote to her. "He sent me this," She said.

Cassie took it, and Harry moved to read over her shoulder. He stood behind her, his chin on her shoulder. The parchment was damp, and enormous teardrops had smudged the ink so badly in places that it was very difficult to read.

Dear Hermione,

We lost.

I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed.

Beaky has enjoyed London.

I won't forget all the help you gave us.

Hagrid

"They can't do this," said Harry, shaking his head. "They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous. You saw the way Cassie was with him — there is no way that Buckbeak could be dangerous!"

Cassie pursed her lips. She was absolutely devastated. Buckbeak was her first step to becoming her old self — He was the reason she had finally gotten over her fears of heights!

The more she thought of it, the more her eyes glistened with tears. Callie grabbed her hand, holding it tightly.

"Malfoy's dad's frightened the Committee into it," said Hermione, wiping her eyes. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal, though, there always is. Only I can't see any hope... Nothing will have changed."

"Yeah, it will," said Ron fiercely. "You won't have to do all the work alone this time, Hermione. I'll help."

"Oh, Ron!"

Hermione flung her arms around Ron's neck and broke down completely. Ron, looking quite terrified, patted her very awkwardly on the top of the head. Callie and Harry exchanged a knowing glance, whereas Cassie just pulled a face at them.

Finally, Hermione drew away.

"Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers..." she sobbed.

Cassie's head snapped in her direction. Scabbers... Scabbers was actually a man — That disgusted her to think about. Ron had been sleeping with a man in his bed for years.

"Oh -- well -- he was old," said Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she had let go of him. "And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now."

The safety measures imposed on the students since Black's second break-in made it impossible for Harry, Callie Ron, and Hermione to go and visit Hagrid in the evenings. It upset them a lot, especially since they wanted Cassie to properly meet the man. The only time they could talk to him was during Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

"S'all my fault. Got all tongue-tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me, Hermione. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em..."