FORTY-TWO, NOT A GRIM JUST A DOG!

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED Cheering Charms! And I bet they come up in our exams; Professor Flitwick hinted they might!" Hermione kept saying as they all made their way up to Divination

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED Cheering Charms! And I bet they come up in our exams; Professor Flitwick hinted they might!" Hermione kept saying as they all made their way up to Divination. Callie had a tight grip on Cassie's hand, because Cassie was about to give up on the walk.

It was an extremely long walk, and Cassie was close to just laying on the floor and being dragged. "Come on," Callie said, "You should be used to this walk by now."

"Well, I am not," Cassie stated, before she bumped right into Ron's back. "Ron... What are you doing?"

Ron sighed, "Just jump on," he muttered. Cassie grinned, jumping on his back and letting go of Callie's hand.

Glowing on every little table in the classroom was a crystal ball full of pearly white mist. Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat down together at the same rickety table, while the twins sat on a table right next to theirs after moving it closer. Cassie leaned her head on Harry's shoulder.

"I thought we weren't starting crystal balls until next term," Ron muttered, looking around at his friends.

"Don't complain, this means we've finished palmistry," Harry muttered back. "I was getting sick of her flinching every time she looked at my hands."

Callie and Cassie giggled at Harry's statement.

"Good day to you!" said the familiar, misty voice, and Professor Trelawney made her usual dramatic entrance out of the shadows.

"I have decided to introduce the crystal ball a little earlier than I had planned," said Professor Trelawney, sitting with her back to the fire and gazing around. "The fates have informed me that your examination in June will concern the Orb, and I am anxious to give you sufficient practice."

Hermione snorted. "Well, honestly... 'the fates have informed her'. Who sets the exam? She does! What an amazing prediction!" she said, not troubling to keep her voice low. Harry and Ron choked back laughs while Cassie and Callie exchanged shocked glances.

Trelawney continued, as though she had not heard Hermione's comment.

"Crystal gazing is a particularly refined art," she said dreamily. "I do not expect any of you to See when first you peer into the Orb's infinite depths. We shall start by practicing relaxing the conscious mind and external eyes --" Ron began to snigger uncontrollably and had to stuff his fist in his mouth to stifle the noise, which set Callie off so she had to do the same -- "so as to clear the Inner Eye and the superconscious. Perhaps, if we are lucky, some of you will see before the end of the class."

And so they began.

Cassie stared at the crystal ball in front of herself and Callie. From Harry's table, she could hear Ron breaking into giggles and Hermione's tutting.

"Do you see anything?" Callie asked Cassie, leaning her head on the desk. "Because all I see is foggy whi—"

"I see a man..." Cassie said, "Two men, a woman, and five childr— I see our family, dad's back living with us, but mum and dad don't look happy — the other man is sitting with all of us, drinking some drink — a cuppa, I'm assuming. Mum and dad are arguing about someth— Azalea just stormed out the house..."

Callie stared at Cassie, eyes wide with shock. "There is no way you could see all that," she said, her mind wandering back to what Cassie had said. "Oh my fuck — do you think Azalea finally gets kicked out? Or do you think she's willingly moving?"

"Hopefully kicked," Cassie stated, "She should get what's coming to her."

"Would anyone like me to help them interpret the shadowy portents within their Orb?" she murmured over the clinking of her bangles.

"Now, really!" said Professor Trelawney as everyone's heads turned in the direction of Harry, Ron and Hermione. Callie and Cassie scooted themselves over, they were not apart of whatever those three were doing. "You are disturbing the clairvoyant vibrations!" She approached their table and peered into their crystal ball.

Harry looked over at Cassie, eyes wide. Cassie gave him a small reassuring smile.

"There is something here!" Professor Trelawney whispered, lowering her face to the ball, so that it was reflected twice in her huge glasses. "Something moving... but what is it?"

Cassie got up and copied Trelawney's actions; She stared into the crystal ball, watching the fog swirl around, before finally showing something.

"My dear," Professor Trelawney breathed, gazing up at Harry. "It is here, plainer than ever before... My dear, stalking toward you, growing ever closer... The Gr --"

"Oh, for goodness' sake!" said Hermione loudly. "Not that ridiculous Grim again!"

Professor Trelawney raised her enormous eyes to Hermione's face. She stood up, surveying Hermione with unmistakable anger.

"I am sorry to say that from the moment you have arrived in this class my dear, it has been apparent that you do not have what the noble art of Divination requires. Indeed, I don't remember ever meeting a student whose mind was so hopelessly mundane."

There was a moment's silence. Then --

"Fine!" said Hermione suddenly, getting up and cramming Unfogging the Future back into her bag. "Fine!" she repeated, swinging the bag over her shoulder and almost knocking Ron off his chair. "I give up! I'm leaving!"

And to the whole class's amazement, Hermione strode over to the trapdoor, kicked it open, and climbed down the ladder out of sight.

Callie and Cassie were beyond shocked as they watched their know-it-all, goody-two-shoes friend actually walk out on a class.  Callie gave Hermione a small round of applause.

Cassie, who was still looking into the crystal ball, looked at Harry with a reassuring smile. "Don't worry about the grim," she said to him quietly, "because it isn't the grim — it's just a normal black dog."

It wasn't a normal black dog — she recognised the dog immediately. It was Sirius Black.

It took a few minutes for the class to settle down again. Professor Trelawney seemed to have forgotten all about the Grim.

"Ooooo!" said Lavender suddenly, making everyone start. "Ooooo, Professor Trelawney, I've just remembered! You saw her leaving, didn't you? Didn't you, Professor? 'Around Easter, one of our number will leave us forever!' You said it ages ago, Professor!"

Professor Trelawney gave her a dewy smile.

"Yes, my dear, I did indeed know that Miss Granger would be leaving us. One hopes, however, that one might have mistaken the Signs... The Inner Eye can be a burden, you know..."

"Some day Hermione's having, eh?" Ron muttered to Harry, Cassie and Callie, looking awed.

"Good on her," Callie stated.

"It's one less lesson to worry about," Cassie said, sitting back in her own seat as her mind wandered back to what she could see in Harry's and hers crystal ball.

A/N: Our girl Cassie is so smart. I'm having a day off school as I have no lessons all day, so I'm going to be updating this and CHERRY. Please check CHERRY out if you haven't, Cerise Diggory is so much different to Cassie Smith. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE PLOT TWISTS THAT ARE COMING IN THE FUTURE!!!! Also, I love Ron and Cassie's friendship.
QOTD: what is one thing you'd like to see in any of the other acts — Goblet of Fire, Order of The Phoenix, etc?