Chapter 1

Decibelle Weyler and Shock Wayve were inseperable by soul. Those two met as children and quickly grew to trust and depend on each other. They roamed the streets alone, begging and pickpocketing to survive and that's how they met each other. They each ended up roaming the same street that fateful day. That was the day that Decibelle let her guard down when she was captivated by the array of guitars in the music shop window. She itched to get her hands on one and play. Little did she know, this time she spent ogling the guitars she was being approached by some older kids who she had pickpocketed from. They were angry because Decibelle had taken their weekly pocket money that they had planned to use at the arcade.

Decibelle was jerked by the shoulder and made to face the gang of kids.

"Where's our money, punk!?" one shouted in her face.

She gulped, "I don't have it."

"What do you mean, you don't have it?" they leaned closer to her and began cracking their knuckles.

"I mean I spent it," she mumbled, "on food."

"So its gone?" one said threateningly, "I guess we'll just have to make you cough it up."

Decibelle backed up as far as she could and then darted between their legs. She made a break for it. Shock was near by pickpocketing when he saw this happen. Curiosity took over and Shock followed the group. He followed the gang of kids chasing Decibelle and saw them repeatedly punching her in the gut.

They taunted her, "she'll cough it up now!"

Decibelle dropped to the ground shaking and tried to push herself back up. She wiped her mouth because blood had leaked out.

"Hey!" Shock yelled and stepped in front of the alley, "leave her alone!"

They all frowned and turned to face this new kid.

"You did worse to her than she did to you," he spat, "leave."

They cracked their knuckles again and turned on this kid, "we'll just have to beat you down to size, then."

Before he knew it, Shock ended up trying to fight off five other kids. Obviously, Shock was beaten up pretty bad, but he didn't go down without getting a few punches in. The kids kicked Shock one last time and then left the alley with their shoulders hunched and their hands in their pockets. Shock let himself collapse.

Decibelle struggled across the gravel to Shock and she croaked, "I'm sorry. Now you're hurt too."

Shock grinned weakly at her, "nothing I haven't seen before. I live the same kind of life as you."

Decibelle let her head fall, "it's not fair that anyone should have to live the way I do."

Shock pushed himself on his elbows and tried to look at Decibelle, "then lets not."

Decibelle looked up in shock at the bruised and bloodied boy.

"Let's live differently."

"Are you saying...?"

"Yeah. I got no one. You got no one. And we're just kids. Let's help each other out."

Decibelle cracked a watery smile, "you mean it?"

"Yeah," Shock grinned.

"I'm Decibelle," Decibelle told the boy.

"My name's Shock," he replied, "let's get out of here."

Decibelle helped up Shock and they leaned on each other as they left the alleyway. They did the best they could to clean themselves up and then they moved on.