Frica de Lumină

On that day, October 31st, the fear of light was born. The infant slowly opened her bloodshot red eyes, preparing to wail. The new mother looked down at it in fear and disgust. "I don't want it."

"Uhm..come again?" The nurse looked back at the woman with a look of utter shock. "I said, I don't want it. Look at her skin, white as pearls! This can't be my child! Unless you can do something about her bloodshot red eyes and skin, this can't be mine. Take it out of my hands or I'll drop it." The mother's voice cracked slightly at the end of her rather threatening sentence. The baby continued to wail.

The nurse remained silent for a second, hoping the woman would change her mind. Realizing it was no use, her gaze dropped to the floor beneath her. "O-of course." She finally croaked with a sigh.

Taking the baby out of the unwanting mother's hands, the nurse quickly spun on her heel, the infant wrapped in her arms. "An albino." She sighed.

"She doesn't want it." Nurse Ivy looked everywhere but the doctor's eyes as her shaky hands held out the baby. "Oh my days. Another one? seriously? Does the local adoption center even have enough room left?" The doctor questioned to no one in particular as he gently took the child into his hands.

The nurse could only shrug. Spinning on her heel again, she went to attend to the mother for meds.

6 years.

6 years in the adoption center with no sign of anyone wanting that child.

Lumina kept her head down with her same bored expression. Flipping through every page of the magazine and simply observing. Observing the curves in all the models bodies, how each of them looked like they weighed less than 100 lbs.

She sat criss cross on the floor, away from other children. Suddenly, the magazine was snatched from her hands. "Hey what's this, pervert!" A little boy's giggle could be heard as he nudged his foot into Lumina's side lightly.

She didn't look up at him. She didn't say anything, she didn't even flinch from the spontaneous attack. "Hey, I know you hear me, freak! Why are you looking at this stuff are you gay or something?" The boy continued to nudge his foot into Lumina, snickering. "Or maybe..You're just not human so it won't matter what gender you're looking at anyway! You'll be sent to that island soon I know it." He sneered.

No reaction. The dark haired girl simply got up and walked to her bed, covering herself completely with the covers.

"Luminaaaa! You won't believe this!" An old woman's voice could be heard just outside the room along with a couple light knocks. Only peaking her head out of the covers, Lumina sat up, her eyes drifting to the now open door, a sweet old lady with short, strawberry blonde hair stood with a wide smile.

"Someone wants to see you."

Holding onto Ms. Yaki's hand, she walked out with her black teddy bear plush, the same bored and irritated expression kept on her face. They walked out to the lobby to see two trad goths. A woman with a pixie cut and heavy eyeliner, and a man with little to no hair, similar makeup to the woman beside him.

Their expressions lit up when they looked down at Lumina. "She's beautiful.." The woman muttered in awe. Lumina's stone expression stayed. Seemingly not affected at all by the goth's kind words, she only walked toward them, giving them a bow.

"What's your name, sweetheart?" The man asked, receiving a hard side-eye from Lumina in response to the sugary nickname. "She doesn't talk much." Ms. Yaki had to explain to the man. "But maybe you two will be the first to get some words out of her!"She beamed at the two.

Hannah, and Simone. Those were the names of the goths that decided to adopt the fear of light.

"Oh and by the way, her name is Lumina. Frica de Lumină."