When I need you the most

Sadness, guilt, regret, melancholy. Gabi could not hope to bear the brunt of it all. That one day, filled with so much death and violence, was one of the worst in her life, because of one woman, who looked similar to her. Sasha was that woman's name. That memory of them exchanging a look when Sasha had killed the gate guards, and then when Gabi eventually killed her. That accursed war, destroying potential friendships.

Gabi wanted to cry, to weep, to scream, to pour her heart out. But, she could only do so quietly. She didn't find the strength behind her. All she could do was to cry quietly, curled up in a fetal position on the bed. She could only repeat apologies behind each sob. Her mind was a storm, tormented by the hate Gabi received for that incident in the airship. The fans of the series had not been kind to her, and it all took a toll on her. Gabi could only cry, as she battled with her dreaded thoughts, wanting her nightmares to end.

But hey, this is a different world, eh? A world, where there isn't as much suffering. Titans are still a nuisance, but the Curse of Ymir does not apply. There is still an outside world, but it is much more complex and interesting. And this is where many of the characters are still alive and aware of the canon Attack on Titan story, which still is created, still gets an anime adaptation, still gets a cult following, and influences their lives more than they would like to admit. It felt surreal for Gabi to know that she is a mere fictional character in a story. Whether that's a good thing or not sometimes speaks for itself.

What about Sasha, the auburn-haired, copper-eyed, potato-loving bundle of joy, who was also good with a bow and a rifle, and who showed incredible bravery in the face of danger, despite initially acting like a scaredy-cat? Beautiful, kind-hearted, funny, and valiant, Sasha was an angel that Gabi had shot, and that was the reason for Gabi's turmoil. Out of all the sins Gabi had been purported to commit, this one was by far the worst. It made Gabi sick, made her want to yell, made her want to shriek, made her want to claw her way out.

However, something did force her to crawl out. She suddenly stopped crying. With her eyes red from the crying, she looked up, and with the remaining strength she felt she had, Gabi lifted her body up, soon sitting upright. Then, she let herself slip out of her bed and on her feet, standing up, as she slowly and cryptically began to walk, acting a bit as if her mind was on autopilot. Gabi had only one goal in mind: to seek forgiveness and comfort, again. Gabi was having another 'Sabi mode', an intense desire to see Sasha, only truly quenchable if she gets exactly that. Gabi needed Sasha again, despite already getting her forgiveness multiple times. That's how pervasive these 'Sabi modes' can get.

As Gabi exited her room, she slowly began walking toward Sasha's. She knew where Sasha's room was, as she had been here countless times. And yet, her mind sometimes seemed to reset at these moments, as if forgetting the location of the room. Gabi looked around for any signs of the potato girl. "Sasha." Gabi repeated softly, as she kept walking around. But she soon remembered where it was. It was around one of the corridors, Gabi was sure. And so, she looked around, as if guided by instinct.

"Sasha... Sasha... Sasha...." Gabi kept repeating.

And soon enough, she found a door, with a potato sticker on it, as well as a small plated sign attached to strings. Gabi knew this had to be it. She stopped just outside the door, tears welling up again. She stood there silently, contemplating her next move. Before long, she knocked softly, before turning the hanging sign around. It warned others of not coming to Sasha's room when Gabi is in there. Immediately, Gabi got a response.

"Come in!" Sasha's voice called.

Gabi wasted no time entering the room. She opened the door, and stepped into Sasha's room. There on the bed was Sasha, alive and healthy. It didn't take long for Sasha to notice Gabi's demeanour.