Prologue

The night was darker than usual, and the sky even seemed to be missing a few stars. Yet, for Cathrine Ravana, the sky still held its immense beauty.

She had just gotten off of work, and was plenty tired from the over-time her boss had given her, but as long as it put food on the table, she would do it without complaint.

As she walked down the darkened sidewalk, she pulled out her hair tie and let her long black hair flow smoothly behind her, the icy blue tips almost glowing in the scarce light of the stars.

It reminded her of her young daughter, Catrina, playing with her beautiful dark red hair as she waited by the front door for her mother's return, sometimes with a gift in tow.

A gift! THE gift! Cathrine had left Catrina's new sweats in her desk at work! She made a quick U-turn and hastily made her way in the direction of her work building. She hurriedly took her normal shortcut into the alley, despite her mind's reminders of the dangers.

The little starlight that was visible seemed to dull further as Cathrine continued deeper into the alley. She had to remind herself that she could fight and win, but if they had a gun-

Footsteps and a small, chilling click sounded from behind her. She froze. An equally cold, familiar voice echoed to her.
"Why, Cathrine,"

Her eyes widened.
"Didn't anyone ever tell you,"
Another click, a jolt of adrenaline.
"Its not safe to go wandering alleyways after dark?"

She turned

All she could see and hear were a flash and loud explosion, before her sight faded, she fell, cold, to the ground, and her thoughts faded into nothingness.

Mommy's not coming home, baby...