Chepter 14

tugged at my own T-shirt and dragged it over my head then shoved down my pants and swung myself into the boxing ring, wearing only my briefs.

Fabi did the same and stood across from me. I motioned him forward, and he went into attack mode at once.

We hit and kicked hard and fast. Fabi's punches spoke of suppressed anger, and my own were fueled with fury. I shoved him into the ropes, but he caught himself. "Is this because of Pete?" I taunted.

"No," he shot back. "I always enjoy kicking your ass, Vegas."

He lunged at me again.

"What's going on here?" Porsch asked from the entranceway.

We ignored he.

"If nobody bothers to give me an answer, I'll head upstairs and talk to Pete."

"You won't," I ordered, and Fabi landed a hard punch in my side.

Snarling, I did a sidekick and got his shoulder. "Porsch!" I held up my palm toward Fabi to pause the match.

he froze. "I thought he could have dinner with us. I have mac and cheese in the oven."

"You won't go anywhere near he without someone to watch your back, understood?"

he nodded eventually. Then he eyes moved on to Fabi. "Why don't you call Leona. I made enough food so you can join us."

"That's a good idea," I said then jumped out of the ring. It was obvious that I wouldn't get rid of my anger today.

"Will you bring Pete down, then?"

"No," I said tersely.

"Why not?" Porsch asked, and I stalked toward he. he didn't back off as I stopped right in front of he.

"Because I don't fucking trust myself around he today, okay?"

Porsch nodded, a deep worry line forming between he brows. "Okay."

"I can bring he food up later," Fabi suggested.

I slanted him a hard look. "Yeah, why not?" My voice rang with warning.

He held my gaze for a long time until he grabbed his phone from the pocket of his pants off the ground and brought it to his ear. I put my clothes back on, not giving a shit that I was sweaty. Porsch trailed after me as I sank down on the sofa. he didn't know what was good for he. Now that he wasn't completely terrified by my presence anymore, he was starting to annoy the fuck out of me.

"Is it because of Macau?"

"What?"

"Your sour mood."

I smiled darkly. "You haven't seen me in a sour mood yet, and if I can help it, you won't."

he pursed he lips. "He's conflicted. He doesn't want to disappoint you, but he also doesn't want to kill and torture in your name."

I didn't say anything, only returned he gaze until he looked away. he had more trouble holding my eyes than Pete did.

"He's killed before."

"And he feels guilty for it."

I braced myself on my thighs. "Nobody forced his hand back then. He could have hidden like all the other spectators of the fight. He could have run. He could have shot the asshole's leg or arm, but Macau shot him in the head. Maybe Macau doesn't want to be a killer, but he is. It's in our nature, Porsch. He can fight it as long as he wants, but eventually the darkness seeps through. It's what it is."

"Maybe," he agreed.

"Fabi was a good boy once. Goldilocks with remorse and a squeaky clean white shirt, but now he's my Enforcer."