Nejiko Gets a Coffee

Note: Nejiko and the cast speak French, I do not so while the dialogue is in English, it really isn't.

Nejiko opens her eyes and sees her keyboard very close. Raising her head, she notices her report now has over 500 pages of the letter "k". She rubs her nose as it dawns on her what happened. She stretches and rubs her ears, trying harder to wake up.

"Coffee," she mutters to herself, looking around her room. "I have to finish this report," she says to no one. Getting up from her chair, she puts on pants and her Crocs. When checking her handbag, she only finds a handful of coins. She leaves her apartment half asleep, but the walk to the cafe that evening is uneventful.

"Hello!" says the barista as Nejiko enters the small store and walks toward the counter. It smells of espresso and tobacco; other than the girl behind the counter, it seems empty. "Double with cream," Nejiko orders, handing over the required coins. The barista smiles and starts to work on the pour. She sits at a table and listens to the clinking of glassware and the noise of the machine. She watches the girl work but looks away shyly when the barista notices.

"Your drink," she says, setting down a small but tall white cup. "Thank you," Nejiko replies, shifting in her seat.

"If you need anything else, please let me know."
Nejiko smiles and nods. The girl smiles, turns, and walks back to the counter. Nejiko does not pass up the chance to observe the feminine movement from behind but returns her gaze back to the cup when the barista reaches her original station.

One sip. The warm liquid goes down her throat. Nejiko's eyes dilate slightly as the caffeine enters her system. She sits silently enjoying the feeling, reaching up to rub an ear, then darting her hand back down when she sees the barista looking her way.

Second sip. She holds it in her mouth, eyes closed, swirling it for a few seconds with her tongue before swallowing. Her right leg starts to bounce under the table, but she regains control.

Nejiko takes the final sip. She stretches in her chair. Lost in the feeling of the espresso, she closes her eyes, leans her head back, stretches farther than normal, exposing her midriff, and a noise escapes her lips. The barista looks her way, and Nejiko blushes as she races to pull her shirt back down and sit straight. Their eyes lock, and the barista smiles.

Feeling both embarrassed and hyper, Nejiko collects her things to leave. The barista comes over, "May I take your cup?" Nejiko, still feeling warm from embarrassment, shakes her head yes. Nejiko notices that the barista's eyes moved up as she replied, watching her ears wiggle as she moves her head. The barista smiles and picks up the cup as another wave of embarrassment washes over Nejiko. She imagines her face is now as pink as her hair as she makes her way toward the door.

"Thank you, and come again..." says the barista as Nejiko walks out the door. She finishes, "cutie," as the door closes; Nejiko doesn't hear her.

"Stupid," Nejiko says as she walks into her apartment. She can hear her heartbeat in her ears as she fights to take her pants off. She feels warm, both from the coffee and reliving the thoughts of the cafe. "Stupid," she says again as she throws a Croc against the wall. She sits down at her desk and violently shakes her mouse to turn the screen on. "Stupid," she says again, this time holding back tears. She pulls her legs up to her chest, resting her cheek on her knees. "Stupid," she says, half crying, closing her eyes tight.

Nejiko opens her eyes and sees her keyboard up close. She sits up, seeing her report now has 500 pages of the letter "k". She looks around confused. "Did. Did I dream that?" she says to no one. She goes to her handbag; no money is missing. "Maybe I'll get a coffee." Nejiko smiles and goes to find her pants.