𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 ᅳ 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐮𝐭

Wayne Unser was a man of justice, and yet he did not always abide by the rules required by his former profession

Wayne Unser was a man of justice, and yet he did not always abide by the rules required by his former profession. Maybe he was blinded by his love for Gemma, which is why he kept doing what she wanted.

And here he was doing it again, doing illegal things for Gemma Teller. The woman who would never return his feelings and yet he would always help her.

With a loud sigh he dropped the medical file onto her desk, ignoring the papers Gemma was working on. "Here, this is Sage Trager's complete medical record."

"Holy shit, Wayne." Impressed, Gemma picked up the medical file and put her glasses aside. "That was fast."

"It wasn't easy to get these either", said the old man, whose enthusiasm was limited. "What are you going to do with that? I thought you liked Tig's daughter. But this smells like trouble."

"I know, and I'm grateful for your effort", Gemma said honestly as she saw the conflict in Unser's eyes, sincerity in her tone. "I do. Sage is important to me and that's exactly why I wanted her medical records."

"No intrigue?" Wayne had known Gemma since she was a teenager. He also knew about her intrigues and that the matriarch didn't always play fair.

"No", Gemma hummed, smiling. "At least not against Sage. I'm just trying to help."

“Trying to help, huh? Doesn't always work out. Interested in sharing whatever you've planned?”, Wayne asked.

"Sticking your nose into other people's business is not like you. I think you're spending too much time with me", Gemma couldn't help but grin slightly. Then she hesitated for a moment, thinking  about if she should tell Wayne about this or not. "Maybe it's not a bad idea to let you in, I might need your advice."

"I'll help where I can as long as it doesn't hurt innocent people." When Gemma assured him that no innocent people would be harmed, he sat down on the old, gnarled chair in front of the desk. "So, what do you need?"

"I don't know yet." Gemma looked through the files with a concentrated frown, her glasses sitting on her nose again.

Since Sage didn't have a history of much illness, Gemma found what she was looking for after just a few minutes. Her lips curled into a thin line as she scanned the words, her chest filling with ever-increasing anger.

"That evil bitch", Gemma snorted bitterly, and at the same time as the realization set in, it ripped the rug out from under her feet.

"Gemma, what's wrong?" Concerned, the older man watched the woman who meant so much to him when she suddenly let out a sob and threw her glasses to the side.

With her elbows resting on the table, she folded her hands and let her forehead fall against them. Grief and anger were an explosive mix, especially when Gemma Teller felt these two emotions at the same time.