FORTY-SIX, BUCKBEAKS EXECUTION!

THE COMMON ROOM WAS BASICALLY deserted by the time they made it up there

THE COMMON ROOM WAS BASICALLY deserted by the time they made it up there. Over in the corner, however, sat Ron, Callie and Hermione. They seemed to be reading a piece of parchment over and over again.

"Professor Trelawney just told me —" Harry cut himself off at the sight of their faces.

"Buckbeak lost," said Ron weakly. "Hagrid's just sent this."

Lost appeal. They're going to execute at sunset. Nothing you can do. Don't come down. I don't want you to see it.

Hagrid

"We've got to go," said Harry immediately. "He can't just sit there on his own, waiting for the executioner!"

Cassie nodded, agreeing with him. She hadn't properly met the man, but from his lessons and what she had heard, he was the nicest man they had ever met.

"Sunset, though," said Ron, who was staring out the window ill a glazed sort of way. "We'd never be allowed... 'specially you, Harry..."

"If we only had the Invisibility Cloak..." Harry muttered.

"Where is it?" said Hermione.

"I accidentally left it under the one-eyed witch passageway but if Snape sees me anywhere near there again, I'm in serious trouble," he told her.

"That's true," said Hermione, getting to her feet. "If he sees you... How do you open the witch's hump again?"

"You — you tap it and say, 'Dissendium,'" said Harry. "But —"

Hermione didn't wait for the rest of his sentence; she strode across the room, pushed open the Fat Lady's portrait and vanished from sight.

"She hasn't gone to get it?" Ron said, staring after her.

Clearly, she had. Hermione returned fifteen minutes later with the silvery cloak folded carefully under her robes.

"Hermione, I don't know what's gotten, into you lately!" said Ron, astounded. "First you hit Malfoy, then you walk out on Professor Trelawney —"

Hermione looked rather flattered.

"Honestly, Hermione," Callie grinned. "I'm all for it — I love this new you."

They went down to dinner with everybody else, but did not return to their common rooms afterward.

They all walked very close together so that nobody would see them hidden under Harry's cloak, they crossed the hall on tiptoe beneath the cloak, then walked down the stone front steps into the grounds. The sun was already sinking behind the Forbidden Forest, gilding the top branches of the trees.

They reached Hagrid's cabin and knocked. He was a minute in answering, and when he did, he looked all around for his visitor, pale-faced and trembling.

"It's us," Harry hissed. "We're wearing the Invisibility Cloak. Let us in and we can take it off."