FIFTY - THE RAT ISN'T A RAT!

SNAPE WAS BLASTED BACKWARDS ONTO the bed, knocked unconscious

SNAPE WAS BLASTED BACKWARDS ONTO the bed, knocked unconscious. She ignored all the shocked looks she had received off them all. "Fucking bastard," Cassie deadpanned, "I hate that man so much—"

"Cassie, what did you just do?!" Ron burst out, his eyes wide.

"What the fuck?" Callie said, a proud smile on her face. "I'm so proud!"

"You attacked a teacher!" Hermione exclaimed, shock written across her face.

Harry snatched Cassie's wand, aiming it at the two adults. "Tell me about Peter Pettigrew!" He said, pushing Cassie behind him.

"He was at school with us." Remus replied, "We thought he was our friend."

"No, Pettigrew's dead..." Harry pointed the wand in the direction of Sirius. "You killed him!"

Remus moved to stand in front of Sirius while Cassie snatched her wand back off Harry and grabbed ahold of him, just in case he'd try to fight Sirius again. "No, Harry, I thought so too until you mentioned seeing Pettigrew on the Map." Remus told him.

"The Map was lying then." Harry said,

"The Map never lies." Sirius said, "Pettigrew's alive. And he's right there." He pointed in the direction of Ron.

"Me? He's mental!"

"Not you, your rat!" Sirius replied, rolling his eyes at Ron's comment. Callie moved to stand by Cassie and Harry as Hermione moved closer to Ron.

"Scabbers has been in my family for—"

"Twelve years." Sirius interrupted, "Curiously long life for a common garden rat. He's missing a toe, isn't he?"

"So what?" Ron replied, as Hermione, Callie and Harry began to put the pieces together.

Harry looked over at Sirius, and then at Cassie. "All they could find of Pettigrew was his —"

"Finger!" Sirius exclaimed, finally happy that Harry was starting to put the pieces together. "The dirty coward cut it off so that everyone would think he was dead, and then he transformed into a rat! Didn't you ever wonder why he was living so long?"

"We — We've been taking good care of him!" said Ron.

"Not looking too good at the moment, though, is he?" said Remus. "I'd guess he's been losing weight ever since he heard Sirius was on the loose again..."

"He's been scared of that mad cat!" said Ron, nodding toward Crookshanks, who was still purring on the bed.

"Oh, don't be stupid, Ron," Cassie muttered. "I know you have a brain — Use it."

"This cat isn't mad," said Sirius hoarsely as he reached out a bony hand and stroked Crookshanks's fluffy head. "He's the most intelligent of his kind I've ever met. He recognized Peter for what he was right away. And when he met me, he knew I was no dog. It was a while before he trusted me... Finally, I managed to communicate to him what I was after, and he's been helping me..."