FIFTY-SIX - HARRY'S APOLOGY!

THE MOMENT THEY DISAPPEARED, the tree began to move again

THE MOMENT THEY DISAPPEARED, the tree began to move again. Seconds later, they heard footsteps quite close by. Dumbledore, Macnair, Fudge, and the old Committee member were making their way up to the castle.

"Right after we'd gone down into the passage!" said Hermione. "If only Dumbledore had come with us..."

"Macnair and Fudge would've come too," said Harry bitterly. "I bet you anything Fudge would've told Macnair to murder Sirius on the spot..."

"He wouldn't be able to do that, anyway," Cassie said, grinning to herself. "There is a reason Sirius didn't go insane in Azkaban, and why he didn't die when Pettigrew shot that curse at him."

They watched as the four men climb the castle steps and disappear from view.  Harry and Hermione looked at Cassie, confused. "I'm his guardian angel," Cassie smiled, "But you cannot say anything to anyone."

"We won't," Harry said, before he spotted Remus. "Here comes Lupin!" He said as they saw another figure sprinting down the stone steps and halting toward the Willow.

They watched Remus seize a broken branch from the ground and prod the knot on the trunk. The tree stopped fighting, and Remus, too, disappeared into the gap in its roots.

"If he'd only grabbed the cloak," said Harry. "It's just lying there..."

He turned to Hermione and Cassie.

"If I just dashed out now and grabbed it, Snape'd never be able to get it and —"

"Harry, we mustn't be seen!"

"How can you stand this?" he asked Hermione fiercely. "Just standing here and watching it happen?" He hesitated. "I'm going to grab the cloak!"

"Harry James Potter!" Cassie hissed, grabbing his hand. "Don't you dare. We cannot risk it." She wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a hug to keep him in place.

A second later, they heard a burst of song. It was Hagrid, making his way up to the castle, singing at the top of his voice, and weaving slightly as he walked. A large bottle was swinging from his hands.

"See?" Hermione whispered. "See what would have happened? We've got to keep out of sight! No, Buckbeak!"

The Hippogriff was making frantic attempts to get to Hagrid again. They watched Hagrid meander tipsily up to the castle. He was gone. Buckbeak stopped fighting to get away. His head drooped sadly.

"It's okay, Buckbeak," Cassie said, lifting one arm ( she kept the other firmly around Harry ) and stroking his head. "You'll see him soon enough."

Not even two minutes later, the castle doors flew open yet again, and Snape came charging out of them, running toward the Willow.

Cassie could feel Harry's fists clenched against her back as they watched Snape skid to a halt next to the tree, looking around. He grabbed the cloak and held it up. "Get your filthy hands off it," Harry snarled under his breath.