Chapter Seventeen

The prom is tonight. And he hasn't even bothered to ask me to prom yet. I've been waiting for him to ask me out all week, but he hasn't done it yet. So far, he hasn't asked me out. Even on his birthday, which was three days ago... even then... Not even a word was exchanged between us. The next day, I went out with Shane, which is probably why I didn't see Alex. Alex didn't even bother to send me a text. Because we had so many opportunities to speak to one another the day before, I was really hopeful that he would ask me something, but he didn't even look at me. Yesterday, I had considered making an effort to speak to him on my own, but Lily wouldn't let me. She advised me to accompany Shane and to ignore Alex's presence in the situation. However, it stings so badly since I had a lot of hopes of attending the prom with him.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea what we have become. We are not even close to being friends, but at the same time, we are not more than friends either. Sometimes it seems as though he loves me as well, and other times it seems as though he doesn't even recognize who I am. Sometimes he acts so protective and compassionate toward me, and other times it seems like he just doesn't care about me at all. I am completely at a loss on what to do. If he were to tell me exactly how he feels, I would be able to decide whether or not to continue like him and whether or not to go on. Alternatively, I could just give him some time to think about how he feels, but I'm sick of waiting. The patient wait is always worth it for the one you love the most, but there are moments when you just can't take it anymore. I mean, yes, I love him very much, but... I'm exhausted. And if he loved me the way I think he does, I wouldn't have to wait in the first place. If he loves me as much as I love him, then we shall stick together and face whatever comes our way. Do it with me if you really want to give everything serious consideration.

After a while, waiting for him to ask me out and interact with me eventually wears me out, but I guess he is too egocentric to do either of those things. Therefore, I will inquire about it myself with him. As I make my way toward his class, rather than going straight inside, I'm going to... I sneak a look around the corner and see Alex standing next to Alyssa. He appears to be expressing his affection for her by holding her hands and gazing into her eyes.

"Will you go to the prom with me?" He puts the question to her.

"Oh my god, yes Alex!" It was her response.

After giving her a friendly grin, he quickly draws her to him and gives her a big hug. After that, he moves away from her in a slow motion before approaching her face in the same manner and giving her a kiss on the lips. My heart shattered as I witnessed him kissing another female. How could he possibly... I don't understand how he could treat me in such a manner. Is he not in love with me? He insists that he doesn't love me, but the way he carried himself around me gave me the impression that he did. After seeing something horrible, I start to run away, but I abruptly collide with someone and have to hurriedly pull away and say "I'm so sorry" in a low voice since I'm on the point of tears.

Someone addresses Sar and says, "Oh hey, it's no biggie."

When I look up, I see that it's Shane standing there. I give a gentle but forceful smile. and start walking away from the scene.

He screams, "Wait!" and then adds, "So, prom is tonight..."

"Yes. I tell Shane, "Sure, I'll go to the prom with you."

He gives me a grin and then pulls me into a close hug. then slowly draws back while gently kissing the top of my head. He turns around and walks back to his class after saying, "I'll pick you up at 7:00 PM." And all I did was put on a fake smile and watch him go away.

. . . .

It is 7:00 o'clock now. I'm waiting for Shane to arrive so that the two of us can go to the prom together. Right now, I'm standing in front of my house. I'm also flaunting a low bun and black gloves, in addition to the black gown that I recently purchased. In addition to that, I put on some jewellery made of silver. Shane exits a black automobile that has slowly pulled up in front of my house, and he begins to run in the direction of the entrance. He gives me a friendly smile, takes my hand, and leads me to his vehicle. He waits for me to seat down before shutting the door and walking away. He dashes across to the opposite side and joins me in sitting down there. As I gaze at him, a smile slowly crosses my face.

"You wore black..." I speak.

"Of course, that is correct. Well, I wanted to match with you," he says as he buckles his seat belt.

I give him a friendly grin and compliment, saying, "You are such a gentleman, Shane."

He responds with a "Oh, I know" just as the two of us burst out laughing. He starts up the car and puts Taylor Swift's "Lover" on the stereo.

"That's my all-time favourite song," I tell him.

While he is driving and smiling at the same time, he says, "That's why I played it for you." I can't help but grin. He is being quite kind to me right now. In addition, the fact that I will be attending the prom with him brings a huge smile to my face. However, as a result of what I witnessed today, I can't help but feel a little bit down... I'm not able to take any more of it. But I can't let anything disrupt prom or the time that Shane and Lily and I are going to spend together today. I don't want to be miserable; rather, I want to enjoy myself. I simply really don't want to see Alex and Alyssa again anytime soon. I hate him to the core. The fact that I still have feelings for him despite seeing him kiss someone else makes me resent him even more. But regardless of this, I still have affections for him. I despise the fact that I continue to want for him. I suppose maybe Lily was correct after all. Perhaps I should give Shane a chance... He makes me feel like royalty in every way. He is well knowledgeable about me. Even my family is familiar to him. And ever since we were children, we've had a very strong bond. And our parents form relationships as well. I suppose that I should be grateful for getting what I really deserve. Joy and pleasure. A FEELING OF JOY. A state of happiness...

. . . .

After what seemed like an eternity, we arrived, and Shane assisted me in exiting the vehicle. As we started going towards the prom, I reached out and grabbed his arm. There were a significant number of classmates present. Everyone has such a charming and dashing appearance. And all I could hope for was to avoid meeting up with Alex. I really don't want to see him spending time with anyone else because I really want to be the one to spend time with him. But it's true that Shane is wonderful in a lot of ways that Alex will never be. The first person that comes to my attention is Lily. After she waves at me, Shane and I walk up to talk to her. She gives me a hug while saying,

"You look smoking... I am happy to have you here with him."

As she says that I compliment her too, it causes me to blush. Her date for prom is Liam. Oh my god, they have a very endearing relationship. To complement Lily's blonde hair and green eyes, Liam has blue eyes, dark hair, and dark skin. Liam also has a friendly appearance. Shane asks whether I would like a drink, and I respond in the affirmative. Therefore, he is going to get something to drink for me. On the dance floor, Liam motions to Lily to join him in dancing, and I smile as I stand there and watch them. I couldn't be happier for Lily and for myself right now. Today is the first day in a while that I actually feel like I'm making progress.

Shane extends his hand and brings me a glass of coke. He is aware of the fact that it is my fave. While I take a swig from my drink, he performs the exact same thing. He smiles and looks at me in the eye.

"I seriously can't take my eyes off of you tonight." It is his voice.

To cover up the fact that I'm becoming red in the face, I say something like, "Then help this pretty lady to the dance floor."