Chapter Nineteen

The sun was setting on the horizon as me and Shane stood together on the school courtyard. It was the last day of high school, a day filled with mixed emotions, and a sense of nostalgia that hung heavy in the air. Me and Shane have been dating for a while.

As Shane chatted and laughed with friends, I noticed a familiar figure in the distance. It was Alex, the boy I had once been inseparable from, but who had gradually faded from my life over the past few days. He had always been a part of my high school memories, but now he stood at a distance, as if hesitating to approach. We didn't speak to each other after that terrible night at prom. I do miss him. But I shouldn't because I love Shane. And now it is time to move on from Alex.

I couldn't deny the pang of sadness that swept over me. I had heard that Alex's family was planning to move to England after graduation, but the reality of the situation had never truly sunk in until this moment. I knew that this might be the last time I would see him, and the thought weighed heavily on my heart.

With a deep breath, I turned to Shane and said, "I see Alex over there. I want to say goodbye."

Shane gave her a supportive nod, understanding the significance of the moment. "Go ahead, Sara. I'll be right here."

I walked over to where Alex stood, his gaze locked onto mine. His eyes were a mixture of joy at seeing me approach him and also a hint of sadness, as if he too understood the finality of this meeting.

"Alex," I said, with a hint of a smile on my lips. "It's been a while."

Alex returned the smile, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "Sara, I heard you're doing well. I'm glad to see you one last time before I leave."

The words hung in the air, unspoken, but their weight was felt by the both of us. I felt a lump in my throat, my emotions battling within me. Alex was someone who had once held a special place in my heart, and now he was about to embark on a new journey that would take him far away.

Before I could find the words to express my feelings, Shane's voice interrupted our moment. He had walked over to us and, without a word, kissed me tenderly on the lips. The kiss was a silent declaration of his love and commitment, right in front of Alex.

As Shane pulled back, he said, "Sara, I love you, and I'm here for you. Always."

Alex's face showed a mix of emotions—surprise, sadness, and perhaps even a tinge of regret. With a heart so heavy, I looked at Shane and then back at Alex. I couldn't find the words to say, and my eyes welled up with tears.

Alex, understanding the unspoken truth, gave me a faint, wistful smile. "Take care, Sara. I wish you all the happiness in the world."

With those words, Alex turned and walked away, disappearing into the crowd. I watched him slowly recede from my life, the tears falling freely down my cheeks. I wanted to reach out, to say something, to explain the complex emotions that swirled within me, but the moment had passed.

Shane put his arm around me, providing comfort and understanding. He knew that this moment marked the end of an era and the beginning of a new chapter in our lives. Together, we turned and walked away from the school courtyard, leaving behind the bittersweet memory of Alex and a high school life we both would never forget.