Chepter 20[🔞+]

Note: Sexual content ahead.💭🔞

PETE POV

I woke with someone pressed up against my back, a warm breath fanning over my shoulder.

I didn't pull away, only stared at my hand, which rested atop his on the bed. The skin on my ring finger was lighter from wearing my engagement ring for five years, and now it lay on my nightstand abandoned. And how could I ever wear it again? How could I ever face my fiancé again after everything I had done? Everything I still wanted to do.

Deep down I knew I didn't want to marry Dan anymore, but it was my duty, even now. I ran my fingertips over Vegas's hand, and he woke with a current of tension radiating through his body. I assumed he wasn't a man used to sharing a bed with someone.

He exhaled and relaxed but didn't say anything. I turned his hand over until his palm was up then traced the burn scars there, wondering how they'd come to be. My touch followed the scars up to his wrists, where crisscross scars fought for dominance with his burn marks. Vegas's breathing changed, became cautious, dangerous.

"Will you ever tell me how you got those?"

He bit the nape of my neck. "Why should I?"

Yes, why should he spill his guts to me? I turned around in his hold. His expression was forbidding, but his eyes held a hint of something even darker. "You're right," I whispered, holding his gaze. "I'm only your captive. The pawn in your game of chess. Something meaningless, easy to forget the moment you give me back." Even as I spoke the words, I couldn't imagine Vegas really letting me go, not with the way he looked at me, and I wasn't sure if the realization terrified or relieved me. Because how could I return to the Outfit?

"Oh, Angel, forgetting you will be impossible."

And I smiled. God help me, I smiled.

Vegas shook his head slowly. "This is madness."

"It is." It was and worse ... betrayal. Dad. Mom. Sofia. Sam. Guilt gripped me in its choking hold. I swallowed. "My family ..." I didn't say more.

Vegas's face hardened and he untangled himself from me and stood. My eyes took him in, the harshness of his expression, those cruel eyes, the scars and muscles.

Vegas was the enemy. He was trying to destroy the people I loved by using me as his weapon. I couldn't forget that. He put on his clothes and gun holster. Then he nodded grimly. "That's the look you're supposed to give me, Angel. Hold on to your hatred if you can."

"Can you?"

He didn't say anything, only smiled darkly. He turned around and left. The fallen angel tattooed to his back seemed to mock me because every day I felt a bit more like an angel falling.

Porsch picked me up around lunchtime. I could tell from the way he was looking at me that he knew I'd slept with Vegas. Kinn had probably told he, and Vegas had told him and probably everyone else. I hadn't dared to ask him if the sheets had arrived yet. The mere idea that my family and fiancé saw them drove bile up my throat.

We settled on the sofa. he'd ordered vegetarian Sushi, which was set up on the table in front of us. I didn't see Kinn anywhere, but I knew he was close and would storm in at the slightest sound of distress from Porsch.

We ate in silence for a while, but eventually Porsch couldn't contain he concern anymore. he touched my shoulder, he eyes flitting to the bite marks on my throat. "Are you okay?"

I set down the sticks and met he gaze. "I'm a captive in these walls, and I betrayed my family. I let Vegas dishonor me. I'm ruined. So what do you think?"