Static

"Alastor, the radio demon, is supposedly quite a popular name in Hell. So much so that his name had somehow ventured into the human world."

"Some people have even tried to summon the demon by giving him offerings hoping he'd show himself to them and grant them powers beyond their own capabilities."

My friend Naomi explains to me while we walk to our class. "Don't tell me you've tried to summon him." I sigh. "You usually don't bring this kind of stuff up before you've tried it."

She's always been into magic and witchcraft. I honestly don't understand any of it but she loves talking to me about it.

I definitely believe that kind of stuff exists in the world but it can be so confusing, especially when people make stuff up all the time.

Naomi has said she's experienced many phenomenons before but she has quite a creative mind.

Naomi grins as she nods her head. "Of course I've tried it! Would you like to give it a try? I have the instructions written down in one of my spellbooks." She starts to rummage around in her backpack.

"It shouldn't take long. We can do it after school gets out today." My eyes go wide as I pull her arm stopping us from walking.

"Are you crazy? Absolutely not. No way do I want to try that." Naomi chuckles. "You really need to learn to have some fun."

She continues, "There's no harm in calling out a demon and asking for powers. Besides, you don't think he'll actually show up do you?"

I just stare at her. She's crazy, she has to be crazy. "No harm?" I echo bewildered. I let out a strained laugh. "I honestly don't even know how to respond to what you just said."

Naomi shrugs. "The worst thing that can happen is the summoning doesn't work and your day proceeds as normal. That's what I call 'no harm'." Her smile widens.

"And," she adds. "It's our senior year. We have to do something fun and mysterious." I sigh again. "I guess you're right." I readjust my backpack as I take a second to think. "Alright, let's do it."

Naomi squeals with delight. "Oh! You're not going to regret it, not one bit! This is going to be amazing, just you wait and see!" She pulls a small leather bound book out of her backpack.

"Here we are. 'How to summon demons 101.' Let's see what we need..." Naomi starts to scan through a few of the book's pages.

I see other students look at us as they walk past and I can feel my face heat up. "Maybe we should look at your book after school." I suggest quietly.

Naomi's eyebrows raise as she looks up at me. "Yeah... I guess that would be for the best. This isn't exactly the type of thing you can just pull out of your backpack and flip through in the middle of a hallway without drawing attention to yourself."

She quickly puts her book back away and we continue to walk to our class.

A few minutes later, we arrive at our class and quickly shuffle into our seats. I look over at Naomi and she's grinning at me before turning back to face the front of the room.

The teacher quickly walks into the classroom, and class begins. The class progresses as it normally would. The teacher gives the lesson and asks a few questions here and there.

A few times, I catch Naomi looking in my direction, likely waiting until the end of class to start the summoning.

The clock on the wall slowly creeps closer to the end of class. The other students gradually lose interest in the lecture and start to daydream as the teacher keeps lecturing on.