Party

I'd like to preface by saying I don't believe in fate. Yet certain events occurred that almost got me to believe in it. If fate does exist. If our story is written, then why did whoever wrote it make it so wonderful things just can't happen? Why would you let me be so happy, but have to let it go?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stumble around in the dark of the party. Barely making out the outlines of some of the dogs who are passed out on the couch or sofa. Drunk out of their minds. The foul stench of alcohol fills the air and I have to stop myself from physically gagging.

I shout out into the darkness, trying to find my sister. "Amber! Amber where are you!"

Nothing.

I can't hear anything through the loud music. It's leaving a ringing in my ears. I try to listen for a response but nothing.

I pull out a packet of sunflower seeds and drop them on my ground. I let the familiar feeling of plant magic emit from my hands.

Root-like tendrils erupt from the seeds tunneling into the dirt. I survey the area. I can't find her. 

I start to panic. She's not in the house.

I pull the roots back and the sunflower seeds return to their dormant state.

I shove my way past the dogs dancing. They try to rope me in but I pull away and stumble out the doorway. 

I frantically adjust my suit. I feel uncomfortable in it. It's not much better than the ugly grey uniforms they make us wear usually regarding the heat department. It's still stuffy but at least it isn't ugly like those things.

I breathe in and let the energy of the forest flow through me.

The party is at my house. We live in a cabin by the lake. This was the best place for me to grow up, seeing as my powers are plant-based.

I stand by the lake relieved to get a break from the loud music and smell. The cool night air calms my nerves. I can see the gentle glow of the moon behind a thick veil of clouds. You can't see the moon or stars here in the empire. It's been that way for hundreds of years. I've seen photos but I wish I could see it for real one day.

I survey the lake and can barely make out some faint lights being lit at a dock down the trail.

I feel the roots of the tree near the dock and can barely make out my sister's faint magical aura.

She's there. I know it.

I run down the path, leaves and gravel crunching under my feet.

The forest is, as cringe as it may seem, my domain. I'm at my most powerful in a forest. I don't feel scared at all running through it at night. My only concern is the dark since I might run into a tree or rock. Thankfully my eyes, like all the eyes of the alternate population, glow in the dark and I can see a bit ahead of me at least.

I keep going until I finally reach the clearing in front of the dock.

I see my cousin lounging on the chair with a couple of little kids sitting on the dock. A few other ones are sitting next to a bonfire, roasting marshmallows.

My sister is roasting a marshmallow and she looks down to notice a plant tendril and kicks it away.

"Marcus! You found us! You're very bad at playing hide and seek big brother!"

I laugh a bit relieved that she's ok.

I turn and glare at my cousin. She chuckles a bit.

"Mac, I tried to call you. You just didn't answer."