𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 14: 𝓢𝓸𝓶𝓮𝓸𝓷𝓮 𝓮𝓵𝓼𝓮'𝓼 𝓪𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷

Engfa POV

As if the world had stopped and answered every question in my head for days. When we finally pulled apart, I felt an awkward silence descend. Char's eyes darted away, and she mumbled something about needing to get some fresh air despite the stormy weather.

I was stunned and confused and was left staring at her, making my heart pounding. Had it been a mistake? Was it a fleeting impulse on her part? The uncertainty gnawed at me.

The following days were a blur. I found myself replaying the kiss over and over in my mind, each replay intensifying my confusion. Unlike before, instead of Char being distant, it was as if the kiss had created an invisible crack between us, distracting herself from the lingering awkwardness.

Whenever she got the chance during each break, she eagerly made her way to meet up with Marima next door. Sometimes Marima introduced herself to the dance group and had conversations with most of the dancers like it was a regular part of her routine.

After classes, too, Marima was always there to accompany Char and they always walked with skinship and laughter, making me jealous a little. I had always been focused on my work, but recently, my possessiveness had begun to rear its head, particularly in situations where they interacted with one another. What is she to her?

Despite these often meetings between the two women, the memory between Char and me never faded. Even though she decided to act like nothing happened between us, I would occasionally pass her so she could feel my presence and let her know that I was there.

One day, while I was on my way to the lift, I ran into Char. She was there alone, and as soon as I saw her, I intensely stared at her without talking. For a moment, there was a flicker of recognition and something that looked like regret.

"Hey, Char," I said, my voice tentative.

"Hi, Fa," she replied, trying to keep her tone casual. "I didn't expect to see you here."

We exchanged pleasantries, but it seemed like we were struggling with the same discomfort when our attempts at conversation were tinged with awkwardness.

At that moment, She admitted that the kiss was a mistake and that we both should forget about everything that happened that night.  As I listened I could sense her fear when her voice trembled with every word, barely above a whisper, as if the air itself might turn against her if she spoke too loudly.

Each sentence was laced with hesitation, the pauses between her words stretching just a little too long. Her eyes darted around the room, avoiding direct contact, as if she was bracing herself for some invisible blow.

I wasn't sure how to respond and blindly agreed with her decision because, after all, it felt like she never had this unfamiliar feeling before in her life. Of course, the kiss with Char had been a significant moment, but it was just one part of her journey. Maybe throughout the days, she discovered that her feelings may not align with mine. And that's okay...

That's okay...

One day, I minded my own business and focused on practising all day when I saw her be herself, without wearing any mask. Why the sudden change? Is she okay now?

My initial reaction was one of curiosity, but as I observed her, she stood with a rigid posture, her arms crossed tightly over her chest like a barrier between herself and the world. There was a distinct lack of warmth in her demeanour, an invisible wall that made people think twice before approaching.

By the time Char's eyes met mine, she greeted me as if it was the first time I met her. Building up the courage to talk to her, I took the opportunity to confront Char, "Are you okay, Char?" I said, my tone tight. "You know I am always here for you, right..."