7. Pachyderm Portfolio

Laughter filled the room just outside his office; the gayety welcomed in this time of turbulence. For the past few weeks his stomach had been heavily twisted in knots, not because of the possibility of further death, mind you, but because of his detest for delay. Already this project was taking much longer than he had initially hoped and not just because they did not have a facility big enough to work within. In a huff, he poured himself a scotch, smiling only when the small, high-pitched trumpet of his last remaining miniature elephant sounded.

    He smiled at the beast in its gilded cage on the far-left-hand side of his desk; a statement piece like everything else in his office. It was a simplistic office because of his need to showcase all of his exotic artifacts and items from bone bowls to scrolls thought to be from the Dead Sea to dinosaur bones and more. Everything was meticulously placed to draw the eye and lead those entering it to ask about one or more of them. Sipping at his scotch, he sighed. There was about to be a large grouping of unique individuals in this office; he couldn't wait to see what drew their eyes first.

    "Mr. Hammond?"

    John Hammond looked up from his scotch, smiling at his head of security. "Frank. Are they ready for me?"

    "Not quite, the three from MONARCH still aren't here. That Thatch broad though, she could almost give Shannon a run for her money. Can you imagine what it'd be like to have both of them in bed with you?"

    John grimaced; he hated when Frank Rourke spoke of women in this way. He merely hummed a gentle reply as Frank moved to take a seat at his desk, his booted feet rising before John stopped him. "Are you insane man? That desk was crafted by the same man who constructed the Resolute Desk!"

    "Easy Hammond, it's just a desk..."

    "Just a desk? You bite your tongue! Just a desk..."

    A gentle knock came at the door as John continued to tut at Frank like a mother hen, unable to hide his bewilderment at the other man's lack of respect for such possessions. Both men turned to find Christine standing there, her back straight like a dancer as she waited in the doorway. "Ah, Dr. Shannon, lovely as always." John smiled, welcoming her into his office with open arms.

    Christine politely declined the embrace, uncomfortably angling herself toward John when she noticed Rourke smiling at the plunging neckline of her blazer-like blouse. Clearing her throat, she prepared herself to bring up her concerns with John regarding her findings from two days ago. "Is it possible we can speak in private for a moment?"

    "I'm certain whatever it is you can say in front of Frank-"

    "And I'm certain I can't. Please."

    He sighed, nodding for Rourke to leave after seeing the stern look in Christine's hazel eyes. With a roll of his eyes, the security head rose and headed out of the office, closing the door behind him. A soft sigh left Christine then; that had been easier than she'd thought. John offered her a drink which she wanted, particularly with James on his way, if he wasn't already in the building; she declined though, knowing that she needed to be professional above all else.

    "So, how can I help you, Christine?"

    "Sir, I have some concerns regarding this expedition."

    "There is nothing to be afraid of, everything is going to go much smoother than last time. We have more people going, security so you're not alone-"

    "That's not my concern, John." He turned his steely eyes to her, not hiding his dismay. She knew she'd have to be careful with how she went about this. "I trust those I've chosen to come along, but I do not trust Rourke."