Just Friends

Okay everybody, I think I'm gonna try to keep everything in order and not always jumping 5,000 words between pages so quickly .. that's a little much. I want to keep you guys interested, and not overload you with a novel for each individual chapter😅

Anyways, Happy late Valentine's everyone!! God bless and I hope you all know that Jesus loves you, so if you're single on Valentine's, know that He loved you first. 🙌

•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•

I heard someone rummaging around, a distant noise in the abyss I knew as sleep.

Out of instinct, I woke up panicked, almost forgetting that I had other people around me. Back in Woodbury we all had our own separate rooms and let me tell you, when someone got caught in somebody else's room.. it was not fun.

My head shot up, seeing Rick and immediately calming down as my head hit my pillow in a soft sigh. These last couple of days have been so hard on everyone, especially me, I just didn't like to be known as a complainer so I kept quiet.

--"Five more minutes?"-- Carl whispered in a groggy voice, pleading with his dad. I laughed to myself.  Carl had always slept in at our sleepovers as kids, but now, I gave him a little leeway because rest was far and few for our group.

It hurt to laugh, my ribs felt like someone took a bat to them and my back felt every second of sleep I had on this rock hard floor.

It didn't matter though. I was still grateful to even have a floor to sleep on, maybe after Rick lets up, we could all start sleeping in a normal bed like normal people.. if that's even normal anymore.

"You know better." Rick chuckled, quietly taking Judith and rocking her so she wouldn't wake everyone up by crying.

--"Yeah."-- Carl replied sadly, sitting up on his elbow and facing me from across the room.

"What are you looking at?" I laughed, looking to him with squinted eyes. It was still dark but I could still see him. Barely able to make out the dark blue glimmer of his eyes....

Sometimes, I never wanted to leave the comfort of eye contact with him, it was where I could relax knowing I'm okay. Others... not so much. On the other side of that safe, okay feeling, felt like I never got away from him. Always the same thoughts everyday nagging away at my mind, to the point when he'd say something, it would go in one ear and out the other.

--"Mm."-- He shrugged.

"If you're waiting for a 'goodmorning,' " I said, rolling over onto my elbow with a tight breath; my ribs felt like shattered glass. "Goodmorning."

He smiled and got up, making it apparent that all he wanted, was a goodmorning from me. His hair was really fluffy from how he slept and I almost couldn't keep it in.

--"Are you laughing at me?"-- He asked, almost seeming offended.

"Correction, I'm.. trying not to." I said between uncontrollable snickers.

He ran his hands through his untamed nest of hair, and shook his head at me, hiding the smallest of smiles on his lips.

"Carl, I'm sorry, okay? I'm not making fun of you, it's cute!" I said from my blanket in the floor, while he went outside with Rick and Judith.

Eventually, I got up to use the bathroom and realized my hair was almost as bad as his.

"Welp, he's seen worse out beyond those gates, I'm sure." I laughed, talking to myself in the mirror as I combed through my own nest of tangles.