Night

❗️angst, fluff❗️

You and Daryl had been friends since the prison, it was a rough start on how to get along but you both grew close.
Tonight your group had just found the Alexandria safe zone. Rick and everyone else had been at some party to welcome our group. But did me and Daryl join? Heck no.
We've been out in the woods with Aaron, we just couldn't get used to Alexandria. It seemed so normal, everyone was happy.
It seemed as though they had forgotten what was really out there.

After you and Daryl had eaten at Aaron's house you both headed over to the spare house that Diana had offered us.

It was so clean.
It was so fresh.
It was as though the apocalypse had never happened.
But it did, and they were forgetting it.

I enter the house and sit on the couch with a sigh and Daryl Sits next to me doing the same thing. I turn to face him, my arm laying out on the top of the sofa while my other was at my side.
He looked back at me, his expression stoic.
"You don't like it here, I can tell" I say quietly.
He's been distant since losing Merle and Beth. I missed Beth, and so did he. I knew he blamed himself for what happened but I was always there to tell him it had nothing to do with him, he couldn't have done anything. I was the one who followed him into the woods and stopped him from burning himself with his cigarette, I was the one who was there to hug him after he bashed in his brother's skull.
And he was there for me too. So many times.
"They're goin' weak" He says in his southern accent as usual, his voice deep and hoarse.
I nod and lean my head back onto the couch, I turn my head to face him.
"If anything happens we'll make it, Rick ain't stupid" I say calmly.
He nods faintly, staring off into the distance with his gaze down.
After a few minutes of silence he sits up and rubs his eyes with a grunt, getting off of the couch.
"m' headin' off to sleep" He mumbles and I get up as well. He notices this and looks at me.
"You okay? You're quiet" I ask.
He nods and looks away "gotta be" He says and I fight the urge to roll my eyes, he always says that. Even when I know he's not he just convinces himself he is.
My hand gently touches his arm to stop him. "Tell me."

He shrugs off my hand and shakes his head.
"Nothin's wrong-" I stop him.
"Daryl." I say sternly and he sighs, his shoulders slouch slightly.
"Don't belong 'ere...I'm a bad person" He says quietly and I shake my head immediately.
"No Daryl- you're not. You did what you had to do to survive. It's not selfish to care about yourself once in awhile." I say and he let's out a shaky breath, shaking his head.
I come closer and wrap my arms around him firmly, he stiffens at first, his muscles tense and he cleanches his fists.
After a few seconds he gives in and carefully returns the hug but barely touches me, he's always afraid he'll be rough for me even after all the times I've told him I'm not made of glass, he's the most considerate person I've met. At times he's not, but that's because he has to be strong.
He nuzzle his head into my shoulder and relaxes with a breath.

"It'll be okay" I whisper softly and he nods, hugging me a little tighter as though he needs to hold onto me or else he'll break.
His body relaxes and he pulls away, rubbing his eyes.
"Thanks" He says quietly and I shrug my shoulders "who else is gonna tell you this?"
And I see the slightest twitch of his mouth, indicating a smirk. He nods and we both just head off to bed.

(Okay guys!! I hope u really liked this one, I tried to stick to character and plot the best I could🙏more will come soon)