Prologue

The place was in chaos. Everywhere I looked, I saw people. People crying, people screaming, people running for their lives. And people on the ground, some struggling to get up, some unconscious, and some even dead.
All I could do was stand there. Watching, staring at this horrific sight. I spotted a little girl, curled up into a ball, rocking back and forth. The terrified look on her face brought me out of my trance. I ran to her.
"You have to get out of here!" I shouted, but my voice couldn't be heard over the roaring fire. She peeked up at me, her haunted eyes burning holes in my face.
I hugged her tight, and brought the poor child over to the emergency exit and pushed her out the door. A group of frightened survivors stood there. I looked back into the burning building.
Someone grabbed my arm.
"Madison... She's still in there!" I dashed back in. I looked around and then I saw her. She lay on the ground, her neck tilted at an unnatural angle. She wouldn't be able to make it out without my help.
I felt a hand on my back. It was Jessica. "We... Have... To... Get... Out..." Jess said breathlessly. I looked at the fire, it was spreading faster every second and I realized she was right. If we didn't leave soon, we wouldn't make it out alive.
I took one last look at the girl's limp body. Jessica grabbed me and pulled me outside. Then the building burst into flames and we ran.