Stage Zero

Tuesday, September 2nd 2024

The dimly lit restaurant was in full swing on this Saturday night. The Puerto Rican family owned restaurant attracted many for it's wonderful food and lively dance floor. It was a place where you could let go of the stress from the week and dance your life away while enjoy mouthwatering dishes. While couples and families enjoyed their food, and others hit the bomba on the dance floor, the Avila-Vargas brothers were on the second floor of the restaurant discussing family business. "Mr. Ivan who owns the floral shops says he want to pay us for protection. Apparently some white developers are trying to bully him out of his store. I told him we make decisions together before I gave a final answer," said the eldest brother of the trio Oscar. The other two brothers Alejandro and Angel shook their heads in agreement to protect Mr. Ivan.

As business continued to be discussed a restless expression grew on Angel's face. Angel Manuel Avila-Vargas is the youngest out of all his siblings at 24 years old. In pecking order of the brothers is Oscar, Alejandro, and Angel. Three boys and the sons of Hector and Maria Avila-Vargas. Angel is the youngest of the trio, and is also known as the wildcard out of the trio. However, he is becoming very bored with this lifestyle. The fast paced lifestyle gets played out real fast. You live life in a continuous cycle; a cycle Angel is becoming particularly disinterested in.

Meanwhile, as Angel is zoning out from the conversations his brothers are having Paris sits alone on the first floor munching on chips and salsa. It's been over an hour since her "date" was suppose to meet her at the restaurant. She came to the realization thirty minutes ago that her date wasn't coming, but the free chips and salsa was so good she sat there eating all alone on her 4th Shirley temple. At 21 years old Paris has just began dating and this is her third attempt to get put herself out there. The first two dates actually showed up but she realized she wasn't interested. Being stood up wasn't actually as bad as she thought. She sat enjoying the atmosphere of the restaurant. "At least he chose a nice restaurant," she mumbled to herself bobbing her head to the music. The green slips dress she wore accented her brownskin very well as the fluorescent lights from the dance floor bounced around her.

"Angel, Angel, Angeeellllllll," Alejandro drawled out to gain the attention of his brother who wasn't paying attention. Angel refocused and zoned back in on the conversation. "You need to pay attention hermano your heads been in the clouds lately," Oscar looked at his little brother. Angel shook his head, "I'm focused but its a Saturday night and we are forced to talk about work instead of enjoying the atmosphere of our family's restaurant." Alejandro agreed, "I told Oscar this could wait, but you know he always trying to show dad how focused he is. I would rather be on the dance floor with a lady right now than sitting right here." Angel smirked at his brothers shady comment.

"I don't kiss up to dad I just know where my focus should be," Oscar rebuttal. As Oscar and Alejandro continued their banter back and forth Angel looked down at the first floor to take in more of the scenery. As he scanned the first floor something caught his eye that made him do a double take. That something was a beautiful girl sitting at the table alone on the floor. Paris was was now moving her whole body in her seat to the music, and she is completely clueless to the stranger who's eye she caught. Angel stared for a couple of more minutes before he came back down to Earth. This made him perk up, and now he has to come up with a way to get the young ladies attention. He came up with an idea. Using his hand he flagged the waiter over who moved quickly to assist one of his bosses. "You see that girl down there with the green dress?" Angel asked the waiter who looked and shook his head yes. "Go down there and deliver her a lemon drop for me, and make sure she know it's from me." The waiter shook his head and was quick to abide by Angel's request. "Oh la la la... she's pretty baby brother," Alejandro wiggled his eyebrows. Angel just rolled his eyes waiting for his plan to roll out.