Chapter 1

"I'm sneaking out tonight, Poppy. You want to go with me?" Daisy Johnson asked in a whisper from under her bed.

Her parents had gone out earlier, leaving her and her brother David to fend for themselves. Mom had been giggling like a schoolgirl when they left for their annual Valentine's Day date night, telling her and David not to wait up.

David, of course, being an anti-Valentine Day grump, had stomped off to his room after telling Daisy to lock the doors and not even think about leaving the house. She'd asked him about going to the party with her. David had shot her down, saying she wasn't going.

Well, she was twenty-one, and her older brother by fifteen minutes wasn't going to stop her from going out. Besides, she had her parents on her side, they said she could go, or at least they had until David had said no.

"Oh, Daisy, I wish I could, but Mom and Dad went out earlier, and I have Lianna to watch," Poppy answered. "Why are you sneaking out, though? Your parents are pretty cool with you... oh, wait! It's David who doesn't want you to leave the house, isn't it?"

"Yes, the jerk, but the joke is on him because I'm going," Daisy answered defiantly.

"Where are you going?"

"There's going to be a bonfire down by the lake. I heard there will be food and dancing," Daisy answered.

"Ooh, dancing!" Poppy exclaimed. "I know you love to dance."

"Yeah," Daisy agreed. Then she swallowed and took a deep breath, saying, "Poppy, I think maybe my mate is close by, and I'm hoping by going out tonight, I might find him."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I went to town with Mom today. She wanted to buy a new outfit for her big V-Day date with Dad. While we were out, my coyote picked up a scent she seemed curious about. I'm thinking maybe he's in town for the big bonfire, you know, maybe a cousin of someone who lives here."

"I know you don't go anywhere but work much, but you've never scented your mate before now?"

"No, at least I don't think so," Daisy answered. "Maybe his hormones are stronger now for some reason, or maybe I just happened to pass by where he'd just been, so it was extra strong. I don't know, Poppy, but I'm going to find out tonight."

"So, you truly think it might be him?"

"Maybe. I don't know, Poppy, but I want to find out, and I know there will be a lot of people at the bonfire. I don't want to miss this possible chance of finding him."

"Okay. Well, I wish I could go, but since I can't, happy hunting," Poppy said.

"Thanks," Daisy said with a chuckle before hanging up. Laying her phone down, she blew a long brown hair out of her face and closed her eyes. Ever since Violet had found her mate, it had caused her longing for her own to grow by leaps and bounds.

"Someway, somehow I'm going to find my mate tonight, even if I have to walk the entire town to find him," Daisy muttered.

Then, opening her eyes, Daisy grabbed her phone and crawled out from under the bed. She was going to that bonfire, and her brother wasn't going to stop her.

~^~

An hour later, Daisy was dressed and staring at her bedroom door. Did she dare try and leave using the front door?

Her eyes swung to her window. She'd only climbed out of it once, and that had been because Poppy and Violet had dared her to. They'd been younger than Violet, sixteen, Daisy, fifteen, and Poppy, fourteen. Different ages and different classes in school but brought together by their flower names and their interest in older men.

Violet was the first one Daisy et. They'd bumped into one another at school, literally. Daisy had been rushing to class and had moved over to avoid the two jocks fighting over who the better player was and had collided with Violet, who was trying to do the same but coming from the opposite direction.

Both girls had dropped their books, and in their scramble to pick them up, Daisy had noticed the name Violet on one of the notebooks. So, she'd introduced herself and asked if Violet wanted to meet up for lunch.

That lunch had been the beginning of many that year and the start of a beautiful friendship. The girls found they had a lot more in common than just their names. One of those things was older men.

Violet called them silver foxes.

Daisy called them hotties.

Poppy said, "Fate needs to bring us all one for our mates."

On that subject, all the girls agreed.

Now, if fate didn't agree, the girls hoped their mates would at least be mature acting boys, not one of those wish-washy idiots they went to school with.

Daisy shuddered at the thought of a mate who acted like her brother. A new girl on his arm every month and unable to hold down a job for more than a couple of months at the time. No, she wanted a mature man who was stable and dependable. No, she wanted a mature man who was stable and dependable.

Having wasted enough time dithering, Daisy glanced down at her thigh-length skirt and decided the window was out. "Front do it is," she muttered.

Hopefully, her brother would be in his room playing a game loud enough he wouldn't hear her leave.

So, slipping silently out of her bedroom, Daisy made her way to the front door. Pausing, she held her breath and listened. When she didn't hear anything, she slowly opened the door, glad it didn't squeak and slipped out. Closing it gently behind her, she released the air she'd been holding and dashed off the porch.

Once she reached the sidewalk, Daisy took off toward the beach at a fast pace, happy her spirit animal gave her extra stamina. She wished she could have taken her car, but it was loud and would have alerted David to her late-night shenanigans.