Chapter 1

"Stay focused. I don't need him getting away again."

Kazuha grumbled something incoherent under her breath as she adjusted her scope and zoomed in closer on the man pacing around his office.

"If you're going to say something, make sure we can all hear it, Zuha."

"Why don't you go fuck yourself, Sakkura?" Kazuha said into the microphone. "Is that what you wanted to hear?"

The line went silent except for the snickers of her comrade, Eunchae, who was setting up for their escape route a few feet away from her.

"I have eyes on the target. Ready to shoot."

"Wait for clearance," Sakkura gave it another few seconds before shouting into her ear. "Mission is a go—I repeat, the mission is a go."

Kazuha held her breath for a split second as she wrapped her finger around the trigger and allowed the bullet to fly.

Her target, Kim Taehyung, stood still by the window overlooking the city view while he continued yelling into the phone. Within a few seconds, the bullet slicked through the glass and lodged itself in between his eyes, effectively killing him.

"You think he'll get away now?" Kazuha quickly took apart her sniper rifle, tossing it into the bag she brought it in when Eunchae ushered her to latch onto the rope.

"Nice shot," Eunchae complimented her, helping her attach the harness to her belt

"Thanks, G.I Jane, I've been practicing." Kazuha grinned before holding onto the rope and sliding off the side of the building.

Eunchae followed behind her, the two of them moving in complete silence, the only thing being heard was the steady thrumming of Kazuha's heartbeat. When they landed safely on the marked building nearby, Eunchae swiftly cut the rope and they headed for the exit of the rooftop.

"Pick up those boots," Kazuha teased her. "Or you're going to be making me a delicious meal tonight,"

"Fuck off, Zuha," Eunchae picked up her pace.

By the time they made it down the second flight of stairs, her earpiece went haywire and a loud screeching sound filled her ears. Kazuha quickly ripped it out, throwing it onto the floor as Eunchae tried to see if her signal was still there.

"Kkura?" Frowning, Eunchae looked up at Kazuha. "I'm not hearing anything,"

"Probably just bad cell towers around here," she tried to give some kind of reassurance. "We'll be fine, let's just go."

Eunchae walked over to a window, peering down the East side of the building when the van was still in its designated spot except the engine was turned off. Kazuha grabbed the younger girl by her arm, pulling her down the rest of the stairs.

Slowly pushing the door open, Kazuha walked out of the building first as Eunchae trailed behind her. They climbed into the back of the van parked a few feet away when they found it completely bare; no equipment, no guns, and no Sakkura in sight.

"Okay, what the fuck?" Eunchae grabbed her cell and dialed Sakkura's number.

Suddenly, a faint ringing could be heard from inside the van. Kazuha followed the noise, freezing in her spot when she finally found it underneath one of the seats.

Looking up at Eunchae in horror, her entire face went pale before she whispered, "Run,"

-

"Mom, the doctor told you to not do anything strenuous,"

Hyun-Ae sat down at one of the newly cleaned tables, huffing defiantly. "I know you're just trying to watch out for me, but I'm going to go insane watching you do everything yourself."

"I told you, I got this. Don't you trust me?" She puffed her chest out proudly. "Just sit there, watch your stupid telenovelas, and let me handle everything."

"Yunjin,"

"Okay, sorry," Yunjin winced at her mother's stern tone of voice. "Watch your amazing dramas," she corrected herself.

Hyun-Ae laughed lightheartedly. "The brownies should be done soon. Why don't you go check on them? If they're all cooled, you can start putting them out for display."

"Can you take a breather? We haven't even turned on the open sign yet."

"Get your little butt back there before I drag you by your ear," her mother said warningly.

Yunjin groaned, stomping like a child to tease her mother even more as she opened up the cooler in the back to check on their baked goods. Once she was sure they were cooled enough, she began plating them—cutting the brownies into perfect squares.

It took her nearly twenty minutes to get through the whole batch since she wasn't sure how to use most of her mother's ancient appliances, but she didn't mind it too much. She enjoys the tranquility that cutting brownies brings her.

Besides, today was supposed to be a good day. Yunjin was determined to make it one. After two long, arduous years of battling breast cancer, the bakery was finally ready to reopen under the careful guidance of its rightful owner along with the help of her only daughter.

Hyun-Ae had come to the land of the free right when she turned thirty-four—a few dollars and some chocolate in her pockets in hopes of achieving the American dream one way or another. Of course, after throwing in some rocky marriages and the birth of Yunjin along the way, she eventually got what she wanted.

A business to proudly call her own and Yunjin would throw the rest of her life away making baked goods if it meant seeing her mother happy to still have her store.

Yunjin finished up the last tray of brownies, setting them into the glass display case so that the customers could see what options they had on hand today before she set down a glass of freshly brewed coffee for her mother, flicking on the bright neon 'OPEN' sign once she gets to the window.

Just as she made it back behind the counter, the tiny bell above the door swayed—signaling that their first customer was in.

Yunjin looked up from her phone, smiling brightly. "Hi, welcome to Shinez. What can I get for you?"