Chapter 1

Ever since she had become of age, Catherine knew that it would be a matter of time before her duties called her to fulfill being a wife for some king in a village far away. It was a duty that had been ingrained into her for as long as she could remember. However, as the wheel rolled over another rock and sent the carriage rocking, nerves fluttered like butterflies in her stomach,

Folding her hands on her stomach, her gaze snapped to her mother. Shadows darkened her eyes underneath while her gaze remained fixated out the window. As she stared at the growing shadow covering her mother's face, she wondered about all the things that may be going on in her mind.

"Mother." Her words earned a glance. "Do I have to do this?" Only the slight tremble in her voice gave away to her nerves. Her mother turned to her and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear, the only sign of affection she would allow, even in a carriage.

"Keep your head up and your heart strong." She whispered. "The kingdom will forever be in your debt." Catherine swallowed again before she turned her gaze out the window. Instead of the annual rains of the season, a strong seemingly vengeful sun has risen over all the fertile fields and lands, turning them into cracked desserts with little food to be found.

Their kingdom was starving and with the other kingdoms in their own struggles, only one had been able to help and provide the necessary food reserves and seeds needed for the next harvest.

And while she would forever be grateful for their generosity. Catherine glanced down at her finger where a ring would soon be placed. I just wished the payment wasn't so high. She raised her head. Or that the kingdom wasn't so far away.

Viratina rested in the heart of the mountains to the Northwest. A kingdom with history bath in war and death, they were as advanced with weaponry as they were with technology. With fields and rocks rich with ores, the kingdom was set to prosper.

"Princess Catherine." Her gaze snapped to the people lining the road. "Princess!" Clothes that barely fit their skeletal frame did their bodies while they watched the passing of the carriage with mixtures of awe and fear. Though she had no idea if it was fear for her or themselves. With a slight wave, she watched the carriage pass them by, leaving them in the dust-caked air.

As the people became specks in the distance, she released a soft sigh. Before they had agreed to supply the kingdom's harvest, there was the talk of payment. Something of equal or greater value to the kingdom needed to be given before they would fulfill their part. With the famine taking everything, arguments between the councilman and her father lasted nights upon nights as they tried to find out a worthy trade.

It was then that one of the councilmen remembered the king had a twenty year old son. Her father had come to her that night and sat her down to explain the situation to her. When they mentioned the king's son, she knew what they wanted to do. Not only would a marriage strengthen allies, it would give them some leverage over the other kingdoms if it ever came to needing assistance again.

So, she was finally fulfilling her duty, offering herself up to the king's son. And that was how she found herself traveling to their kingdom the next day.

"We're crossing the border." At her mother's words, she glanced out the window. The dried and cracked fields seem to shift before her eyes, with long grass growing out in a horizon of green sea. They passed villagers where people stopped and turned to them with a mixture of curiosity and distrust.

Soon, the grass grew into forests, big and thick as the trail got steeper and bumpy. Twice, she had to brace herself against the carriage for fear of it all falling apart. Through the trees and over streams, they traveled deeper and deeper into the mountain's jaws. As she inhaled, a screech snapped her gaze up to see a falcon sitting on a passing tree, watching the carriage with passing interest.