Where Do We Go From Here

"Prince of Asgard" she exclaimed, almost falling over the edge of the counter. And praying please God do not let me embarrass myself in front of this man!! "I don't think I have ever heard of a place named Asgard", she said puzzled as to why that place completely escaped her memory. She had learned about so many things, and places while she was in college, but never a place named Asgard. Loki chucked softly under his breathe, with a shy smile on his face, he softly replied, " Asgard is one of the 9 realms". "What are the 9 realms?"  she asked, still very puzzled about this place that he spoke of. At first she thought maybe he was just joking with her and didn't want her to know where he was actually from. Loki knew this was the chance that he had hoped would come. The chance to ask to spend time with her, to get to know her. The same HER that had consumed his thoughts for the past 24 hours. He smiled gently and extended his hand, taking hers into his, "If you would do me the great honor of having dinner with me this evening, I would be happy to explain all of this to you". There was a moment of silence between them, or at least it felt like a moment. As he waited for her reply, all he could think about was what likely came next, total rejection.

"I would like that very much", she replied. Loki watched the words leave her lips like he was watching his favorite artist paint a portrait. He watched the brightness in her blue eyes become even brighter and the light smile that had crossed her face as she accepted his invitation. He gently placed a kiss on the edge of Kate's knuckles and politely said, "Wonderful, where should I pick you up this evening, say around 7:30"?

Kate had always practiced "safety first" when she would accept a first time dinner invitation from every man that had asked her out that hadn't known very well. But she didn't know him at all, but she wanted too.  "If it's ok with you, I prefer to meet you there?" she shyly replied. She had never met a man like Loki, but there was a deep sadness behind his blue eyes that she wanted to know more about. He made her heart race and trying to breathe felt like her lungs were frozen and not accepting or exhaling any air. He sweetly smiled the most mischievous smile and said to her, "Whatever you are most comfortable doing is perfectly fine with me."

"Where shall I meet you this evening"? he asked. Already thinking about what he would wear that was sure to impress her and show her that even though he was a Prince, there was no pretention about him. That he was as normal as everyone else in this city. "O'Sullivan's, it's on 67th Avenue, do you know where that's at"? she asked. "I do actually, my home isn't very far from there", he replied. Thankful that she had picked a place that he was familiar with as he had eaten dinner with Thor and Jane there the previous week. "I'll see you at 7:30" she said, elated that she would be spending her evening with the one man that she had ever want to get to know more than anyone else. "See you at 7:30", he replied. Turning to see a long line had formed behind him. "I really should be going then", he said, even though his feet didn't want to leave the comfortable home they had found on the plush ground in front of the booth that she was working at.

On the way home Loki passed a store named "Lily & Pulitzer". Hanging in the store window was the most magnificent little black dress he had ever seen with a sheer long-sleeved bodice, that gathered at the neckline with a small piece of fabric that matched the remainder of the dress which was strapless. "This would look stunning on Kate", he thought silently to himself. Later that afternoon just before time to close the booth a courier arrived at the booth with a large box in hand for Kate. "What is this, I didn't order anything"? "I am just the courier service, I wasn't given any details about what exactly I was instructed to deliver", was his reply. But Kate could see the name on box in fancy gold letters, Lily & Pulitzer. "I don't understand I have never gone into this store", she said, feeling sure that this was being delivered to the wrong Kate. She pointed at the name on the box to the delivery person, emphasizing again that she had never shopped in the store. "You are Kate McKenzie, correct"? he asked. "Yes, I am" she said wondering if there was more than one Kate McKenzie in the city. "Who's it from" she asked, the courier handed her a small white envelope. "If you could sign this for me, please", he asked, presenting her with a clipboard and pen. Kate took the envelope from his hand, swiftly opening it to see who had been so kind as to send her something from a store that all she could afford to do was window shop when drove past it on her way home from work everyday. "Saw this in the window and knew it would look breathtaking on you. See you this evening, Loki".