chapter three

ISABELLE

CHARLOTTE WAS babbling on about all the sleepovers that she has planned for us and her hands waved excitedly as she explained. I shook my head in fondness and nodded while taking my art books out of my locker.

My finger traced Picasso's name and I unconsciously smiled. Art was my greatest passion and it helped me overcome some of my darkest thoughts. Colours all had a certain personality and I believed every person had a colour that matched them.

Charlotte reminded me of the sunset orange because she was calm and bubbly but fiery when necessary. As an artist, I could see the colour surround her. I pulled the books out and I saw Charlotte looking at me expectantly.

"Well?" She asked jutting out her hip. I bit my lip and gave her a smile to show that I wasn't actually listening. "Isa." She groaned. "I'm sorry, Char." I shrugged closing my locker.

Just as my red head best friend was about to lecture me on listening to people, a blur of blonde and pink ran up to us with rosy cheeks.

"Shannon." Claire breathlessly stated placing her hands on her knees. My heart immediately jumped to my throat and I grabbed Claire pulling her to me.

"What happened and where is she?" I asked, my eyes widened in fear. "She got hit in the head from a rugby ball and is now in the school office." Claire explained.

My heart started to beat out of chest at the sound of my sister being hurt. She doesn't deserve to go through this again and I promised her as well.

I looked over at Charlotte and she nodded taking my books from my hand. "Where is the office?" I asked desperately.

"Just walk forward and turn right." Claire gestured. Her hair was disheveled from the running she must have done to come and get me. I gave her a thankful smile and took off running towards the office.

I finally reached the office and saw Shannon's brown hair on someone's lap. "Minnie." I breathed out striding towards her. She lifts her head up from his lap and her eyes softened when she looked at me.

I gently pulled her towards me and hugged her tightly to my chest. I breathed her in and my heart started to beat more slowly as I knew she was now safe in my arms.

I looked over at the mysterious boy who hurt her and my eyes turned to stone as I realised what boy it was.

"You." I spat angrily pulling away from my sister. He gave me a sheepish smile backing away slightly. Shannon's head turned from me to him in confusion. "Do you know him, Terror?" She asked.

"Terror?" He questioned. I ignored him and walked closer to him. "He barged me and called me an ogre and now you hurt my sister." I snarled clenching my fists.

"It was an accident and I'm sorry about before. I was a bit angry." He looked down rubbing his head. I scoffed at that and crossed my arms. "Accident?" I questioned in disbelief.

"It really was, Isabelle." Shannon softly spoke grabbing my clenched fist. I knew she was serious as she called me by my actual name which she never did.

"What happened?" I asked turning my attention back to the giant. "I was playing rugby and the ball accidentally hit her on the head. I was sat with her the whole time." He explained.

I nodded slowly and I could see the sincerity that was shining in his eyes. I looked down at my sister and her eyes were trained on his with a shy smile on her lips.

My eyebrow raised in question as I looked over at him and he was gazing at my sister with a lazy smile. I scoffed and crossed my arms.

"Well..." I trailed off not knowing what to do with the looks that was being passed in front of me. He seemed to snap out of whatever he was in and he cleared his throat dragging his eyes to mine.

"I'm Luke Kavanagh." Luke stated with a sheepish smile with his hand out for me. I nodded firmly looking down at his hand. Shannon nudged me and gave me a pointed look.

I rolled my eyes and placed my hand into his shaking it tightly. He winced and gave me a strained smile. "Isabelle." I stated letting go.

A thought just popped into my head and I started of chuckle to myself. The two looked over at me with a confused look on their face.

"When Ma finds out-"

A door swang open and we all turned towards that door. My ma was walking towards us with a fiery look on her face. "Speaking of the devil." I smirked.

Ma pushed me aside and held her precious daughter to her chest. My heart pained at the scene and I tore my eyes away looking down.

My ma was gazing at Shannon with a look of love and adoration which made me grit my teeth.

Ma never looked at me like that.

I cleared my throat and walked towards the door. I saw Lucas staring at me and I sent him a half hearted wave in return.

I knew that Shannon would be in safe hands and in the hospital if I knew my ma well. I left the office and  sent a text to Char to meet me at the lockers.