Chapter 1 Flare's POV

I looked down the street. One side was full of light colors, an immense sun shining down on it. The other was dark, isolated, and full of dark colors. A moon and trillions of stars did nothing while hanging overhead.

"Don't even think about crossing, Flare." a masculine voice warned. I turned around and saw Dawn, an eighteen-year-old know-it-all who would unfortunately be my future husband (we are forced to marry someone that the king or queen chooses). "I wouldn't dare, Dawner." I replied, using his full name. He cringed at the sound of his name.

"I'd hate to tell Sunny that my wife crossed again."

"Future wife."

"Dignified."

Dawn walked away, entering the Crossroad in front of us. A Crossroad is what we call a road that is half light and half dark.

I followed him into the Crossroad but took a right and went into a building that had a big sign above the door that read Bookllete.
"Ah, welcome back. How may I be of service?" asked a barn owl with brown pointy glasses resting on his nose. He was sitting behind a wooden counter with a cash register positioned in front of him. "Hi, Mr. Hooligan. I just wanted to get my school books for the year." I replied, trying to think of a reason for coming. "Wonderful." the owl grinned. And with a snap of his feathers, six books came floating from all over the tiny store and towards the counter. "That'll be twenty-four Solarians." Mr. WHooligan said, his British accent very thick. "I don't have that much money, sir." I responded.

"How much do you have?"

"Twelve Solarians, sir."

"You can pay me back later, dear. Just give me the money you have now and we'll call it even."

"Thanks, Mr. H!"

"Your quite welcome, Flare."

Flare. Everyone I knew would kill me if they knew that my nickname is Flare. Especially Dawn. Of all people King Beam could have chosen for me to marry, it had to be Dawn...

You know, sometimes life is too uptight on the light side. I know I shouldn't think about this, but I've always wanted to see what life is like on the dark side...