PART ONE

𝕻𝖞𝖗𝖗𝖍𝖎𝖈 𝖛𝖎𝖈𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖞, 𝒂 𝒗𝒊𝒄𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒏𝒇𝒍𝒊𝒄𝒕𝒔 𝒔𝒖𝒄𝒉 𝒂 𝒅𝒆𝒗𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐𝒍𝒍 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒗𝒊𝒄𝒕𝒐𝒓 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒂𝒎𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒅𝒆𝒇𝒆𝒂𝒕

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐒 swaddled the small girl in a fluffy pink blanket, humming soft lullabies as she fixed the granite table for tea. The baby's eyes fluttered closed while she straightened the golden tablecloths. The two stayed that way for a while, Themis watching her sleep peacefully; until a clamorous noise grew in volume behind the doors caused her to open her eyes. Themis shushed her silently gently running her finger across the bridge of her nose.

In the tranquil depths of Mount Olympus, where whispers of divine gossip mingled with the sweet fragrance of ambrosia, Themis would host a tea party of sorts. This ethereal gathering was an occasion where the female deities of Olympus could unwind, share stories, and revel in each other's company away from the demands of their godly duties and male counterparts.

Aphrodite, radiant in her beauty, huffed angrily as she pushed open the glass doors engaged in conversation with Athena, the wise goddess of wisdom and warfare, who rolled her eyes at the love Goddess' dramatics. Artemis, the huntress, followed the two, her keen eyes scanning the garden with a watchful gaze. Hestia, the gentle hearth goddess, walked in through the door Hera, the ethereal queen, held open for her with a large basket of freshly baked cookies, her serene presence bringing warmth to the gathering.

But amidst the gathering of divine beings, there was one who had yet to arrive—the goddess Persephone, queen of the underworld. As the earthy scent of flowers heralded her approach, the mood in the garden shifted subtly.

Persephone walked through the door, followed by a soft rustle of petals and a gentle breeze, her dark eyes alight with curiosity as she beheld the newborn in Themis's arms, the first of the goddesses to notice. "Forgive my tardiness, I was a little tied up," she said, her voice a melodic echo of the earth's cycles.

"Not to worry, honey," Themis greeted, her voice carrying the soothing melody of divine wisdom, "I'm glad you're all here." A chorus of greetings echoed in response, each goddess offering words of welcome and affection. Themis settled into her seat, she cradled her child closer, her maternal instincts guiding her every movement.

Athena, ever so curious, leaned forward with a sparkle in her eyes. "And who might this little one be?" she inquired, her gaze shifting towards the bundle in Themis's arms. She reached her finger out, small hands immediately latching around it in greeting.

Themis beamed with pride as she shifted the baby so the deities could see, revealing the newborn's cherubic face. "This is my daughter, Arachne," she announced, her voice filled with a soft maternal love. Themis didn't have many children, in fact she only had the six during her marriage to Zues which was so long ago, so having one of her own with no Godly claim was new. A love that surpassed what any other God or Goddess could hold for a child.

Athena pulled her finger back in an instant at her name, sending Themis a confused glare. The goddesses who had been sitting down sprang from their seats and gathered round the Titan.

Artemis was the first to reach out, lifting the swaddle for Themis' arms, and cradling Arachne in her arms. As she held the giggling infant close, a small smile tugged at the corners of her lips. In Arachne's sparkling eyes, Artemis saw a reflection of her own starlit realm, and a fleeting attachment blossomed within her heart.

Hestia cooed in delight, reaching out to stroke Arachne's soft cheek, her expression gentle and serene, and offered a warm smile. "Welcome, little one," she whispered, her voice carrying the timeless wisdom of the hearth. "May your journey be filled with light and love."

Aphrodite smiled tenderly at the newborn, her gaze soft with affection, "Oh, she's just gorgeous, isn't she?" While not as visibly excited as Hestia, she bestowed her blessings upon Arachne, her divine essence imbuing the child with grace and charm.

"I must admit, the name Arachne carries heavy weight," Athena spoke, her voice tinged with solemnity.

Themis, sensing Athena's unease, offered a reassuring smile. Placing a gentle hand on her dark hair, a soothing feeling rushed through her instantly. "Fear not, dear Athena," she assured, her voice filled with maternal softness. "Arachne is a symbol of resilience and creativity. Her destiny should be hers to shape, free from the shadows of the past."

Despite her initial apprehension, Athena softened at Themis's words, her gaze softening as she looked upon the newborn with newfound understanding. You simply didn't argue with the personification of justice and equality, even as a deity. Hera, however, watched the scene with a mixture of concern and apprehension.

When she spoke, her voice carried with a confident authority. "And, who exactly is the father?" Hera had an inkling to the answer just by looking at the baby, but any hint of Godly energy was heavily drowned out by her Titanic energy. Themis looked up from Athena and met Hera's storming eyes. She may have been eons older than them, and their aunt, but it didn't mean that she loved to disappoint them.

"He's..." Themis hesitated, reaching her hand and grabbing Hera's before gently squeezing it, "...a human named Leo."

The goddesses who were busy watching the baby bounce happily on the wind Artemis created all snapped their attention to Themis. Artemis, so taken by surprise, stopped the wind, forcing Hestia to urge forward and catch the baby before she hit the ground.

"Themis!" Hera began, her voice tinged with urgency. It was a secret to none of them that Themis would often wander around Earth, but having a child with one was unthinkable. "What were you thinking? Have you considered the consequences of this child's very existence?"

Themis met Hera's gaze with unwavering calmness. "I understand your concerns, Hera," she replied, her voice steady and reassuring. "But Arachne is a child of love. She is not responsible for the actions of her lineage."

Hera's concern deepened, her thoughts turning to the potential power imbalance that the child could bring to Olympus. "Zeus will see her as a threat," she murmured, her voice barely above a whisper. "He will hate the influence that new Titan blood brings within Olympus. He could see this as an act of treason, Themis. He could torture or imprison you, and he'll kill Arachne with no hesitation."

The mention of Zeus sent a ripple of unease through the gathering, each goddess grappling with the implications of the king of the gods' wrath. Aphrodite's eyes brimmed with empathy for the newborn caught in the midst of divine politics, offering the girl a small smile as Hestia handed Themis back her kid.

Themis, however, remained steadfast in her belief in Arachne's inherent goodness. "Zeus's concerns are not Arachne's burden to bear," she declared, her voice unwavering. "She deserves a chance to flourish and grow, free from the shadow of fear."

"And she will never get that here, Themis," Hera regarded Themis with a mixture of resignation and respect, knowing that her aunt's wisdom transcended the politics of Olympus. "You and I both know that."

Themis, for the first time, faltered ever so slightly but it echoed loudly amongst the goddesses. "I can't leave her, Hera."

"You can't keep her," Artemis was the one to speak up, her voice stern as she grabbed one of Hestia's cookies. Themis' eyes fell to the small face in her arms, greeted with a pure smile.

"I know," she solemnly admitted.