Return to Innocence Part 1

Now I lay me down to sleep, pray the Lord my soul to keep, if I die before I wake, pray the Lord my soul to take.

My guardian angel, Daniel, I call upon you and thank you for loving me through all I do. Please shield and protect me and show me the way, and carry me through to the end of each day.

CHAPTER 1

2015, Glossop, England

The smell of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and freshly baked cakes still lingered in the main room. The restaurant had been very busy this evening and it seemed it had emptied in one go. Only the sound of vacuuming could be heard. I rushed to get all the dishes off the tables and into the kitchen to be stacked in the dish-washer. I wiped the tables clean and flipped the chairs upside-down onto the tables to clean the floor properly. The dark-haired, dark- skinned girl shut the vacuum-cleaner down and put it away before going to fetch the mop and bucket of hot water I had prepared for her. I really enjoyed waitressing in this new restaurant in the very heart of Manor Park. I liked the scent of roses when I opened up the vast windows and constantly admired the modern furniture and bright colors that had been chosen. I blushed, remembering my boldness at suggesting white and violet. The others had grimaced and thrown mocking glances my way but my boss had agreed. Alright, with my messy blond pony-tail, black-rimmed glasses and plain clothes, I did not appear like the average interior designer. Candice breathed heavily as she mopped the floor and scrubbed with vigor in certain places.

"Ever got the feeling some-one watched you all the time but that it wasn't some-one but rather something, like a paranormal presence." She looked up at me, her dark eyes narrowed. Feeling stupid, I babbled on. "I hear a voice in my head that guides me, sometimes it is more like intuition but it isn't my subconscious. It feels like a divine presence that constantly follows me." She stared at me for what seemed an eternity and burst out laughing. I sighed in exasperation at her mocking laughter that wouldn't end. "Seriously Amber, you should stop going to church and start going to nightclubs." She shook her dark curls at me as she wiped away a tear of mirth. I pushed my thick glasses back up on my nose because they had an annoying tendency of slipping down.

"But Candice, has it ever happened to you?" I persisted even though I was shy I had to admit I could be stubborn. She dried the glasses and mugs, passing them to me with a thoughtful expression on her lovely face. "Feminine sixth sense" she confirmed.

"Don't you believe in guardian angels?" "Of course, angels, aliens, ghosts, the tooth-fairy and father Christmas." "You think I am stupid." "I think you have more imagination than most people but you have the right to believe in whatever you like." I fidgeted with the violet mug in my hand. "To me it is real, ever since my childhood but I'm afraid to talk about it because I was so badly teased at school about it." Candice came to my side and took the mug from my hands and put it on the shelf. "Kids were cruel back then, they harassed you and made life at school Hell for you." She laid a hand on my shoulder in friendship. "I'm a nerd" I mumbled bitterly. "You are different. Your world full of fantasy helped you make it without your parents" she told me, her eyes softening. I hated that look of pity that had haunted me all my life.

"It's getting really late" I remarked, glancing at the darkness outside. "No, it's already very late, let's hurry" she smiled as she rushed around the room to lock the front door and verify nothing had been forgotten. Her mobile rang and she answered. "I'll be out in a minute, babes" she said with a grin that made a dimple appear at the corner of her full lips. No wonder she was dating the hottest guy in town, she was the prettiest girl I knew. "You need a lift home?" I shook my head. At nineteen, I was still a virgin and green concerning love and sex. Extremely green I thought, puffing in frustration. "I've counted the till and finished the accounts I bet you girls did more chatting than working." I bristled at the masculine voice full of arrogance. "Shut up, Pete" Candice said, slipping into her red jacket.