Chapter 1: Sonic the Hedgehog's angsty cousin

The first thing Max noticed upon waking up was that even though he was outside, he couldn't see the sky. Everything was covered in a thick layer of fog to the point where he couldn't see past the body laying on top of him. The second thing he noticed, was that there was a fucking body laying on top of him.

"Alfie, wake up." Max said, pushing him off before scrambling to his feet.

"Give me five more minutes" Alfie whined.

" Alfie, wake the fuck up now!" Alfie's eyes slowly open as he takes in his surroundings.

"We went crazy last night, huh. Who's turn is it to call an Uber?" he asks as he stands, putting an arm around Max's shoulders. Max goes to grab his phone only to find he doesn't have it.

"Dude, I can't find my phone," he said frantically searching the grass.

"Alright, I guess I'll do it this time, but you owe me dinner." Alfie says winking at Max before reaching into his own pockets only to find them empty.

"Huh, weird. I guess we'll just die here then," he says, leaning into Max and putting his head on his shoulder.

"If I die here, it's not like anyone will care anyway." Alfie rolls his eyes and Max corrects himself "I don't know, maybe you'll miss me, but you'll be dead anyways so it doesn't matter."

" I refuse to die outside. My hair will frizz."

"Oh no, what a nightmare. "

"You would know all about nightmares, wouldn't you Maxie?"

"You know I hate it when you call me that,"

"Oh I'm sorry, Reaper of the Darkness,"

"It's Reaper of the Shadows and you know it."

"I know it, it just sounds ridiculous either way,"

" You know what else is ridiculous? Those pants you're wearing,"

"It is called fashion, darling, but I wouldn't expect you to understand, Mr. I wear black everyday because I think it makes me look all edgy and cool, but newsflash honey, it doesn't."

They continued arguing loudly, drowning out the sounds of footsteps approaching them.

"I'm just saying if you didn't use so much gel in your hair, then-"

"You use gel in your hair," Max interrupted.

"Well, at least I don't look like Sonic the Hedgehog's angsty cousin," Alfie argued.

"Yeah well,-" a throat clears behind them.

"Excuse me gentlemen, sorry to interrupt your," he looked at them distastefully, "heated debate, but I have been given the unpleasant duty of being your tour guide."

"Tour guide? What is this place?" Max asked.

"Oh, haven't you heard?" the man asked disinterestedly, "You're dead. Welcome to the afterlife. Enjoy your stay. Or don't, I really don't care."