pt 1

The young child waved as her father left to go to war. She did not yet understand the
meaning of war or the effects of it. She hadn't gone to school yet, and she wasn't
allowed to because the people of Pruiti didn't like the people of the Maruichines. To them the kids of Maru people will all end up criminals or maybe they thought the kids of Maruichines were already criminals, we'll never know.

The girl shut the door and struggled to step up large poorly made wooden stairs. Her sister was out so she decided to roam in her older sister Josephine's bedroom. She found a big book with writing. She didn't know what it said but assumed it was what is called a diary. She grabbed her sister's chalkboard and chalk and wrote down the letters J O S E P H I N E she thought about how long the word josephine was. She only knew the name Josephine as she had seen her sister write it again and again. She then wondered how her name was spelled. She placed the big diary back where she found it and ran to a family picture on the wall P E A R L she had never seen a R,A or L before.

She then sat on the ground pouting. " That's not fair! How come Josephine gets to pretend to be Pruiti and go to school? I wanna go to school too!" her mother hearing this replies with "oh dear child to be put simply put you might expose yourself to the Pruiti people. you are not the best with accusation my dear" she continued " what if they catch you oh dear you could put us all in a horrible place." not wanting to be rude to mother she pouts and walks away.

To make herself feel better she was going
to buy her very own sugar bread. It was a small block of bread with sprinkles, fruit
and sugar inside. it was a food of the Maruichines something that would soon be taken away. She got her 2 cents and went to the bakery, but she found Mr.Hampston
packing all of the stuff he could find in his bakery.

"Mr. Hampston? Why are you
packing? I need sugar bread. I even brought 2 cents!"

he sighed "i won't be able to give you any more sugar as the soldiers took it all." "oh.. So you're leaving?"

"sadly, yes little miss pearly and i recommend that your family leaves too." he continued " i made you some pickled limes and put it in the pantry i'm sorry i can't give you any more than this." he says finishing packing and he finally left when he saw the small carriage that was there to take him away. She stared at the now empty little bakery.

She thought for a moment " mama said this bakery was here even before her. So it's
pretty old.. Did Mr.Hampston leave just because of that stupid little war." she thought. She walked to the pantry and took out the jar of pickled limes. 'At Least he gave me a jar of those expensive pickled limes" Her parents hadn't taught her to read but they have taught her to count "count to 2,000 that's when you can come out of your hiding spot if you still hear any noise count to 2,000 again." her mother said once. she opens the jar and plops one in her mouth. " 5 cents is really expensive but I really like pickled limes. I hope someone will give me 5 cents to buy some more pickled limes."

she starts to walk away with the jar in her hands, down the dirt road she went to hopefully find someone to talk to. But the town that used to be packed with people was empty. It was quite confusing for the little one. Then came the sound of marching feet. It was quite loud. In the near distance the soldiers were marching. Little pearl was told to watch out for the soldiers that wore the huge swirly circle symbols on their back. And so she quickly ran away and back
to her little home.