I

I dive my sword deep inside its skull waiting for its rotten body to remain motionless as blood spurts on my face. I wipe the stained blade all of a sudden I topple over as a hand grab my neck, I struggle to break free of the walker's grasp that is when I shove it off me, letting out a snarl. I kick it right in its midsection and take the opportunity to slice its throat.

I try to catch my breath and regain control of myself after this unexpected rush of adrenalin.

Leaning against a tree, I seek a brief respite from the searing heat Georgia for a moment. My gaze falls on the lifeless bodies in front of me, the silence of our surroundings enveloping us. Once, the cacophony of city life irritated me. Now, I yearn for any of those sounds to break this deafening silence. A honk, a ringtone, a voice...

It's been three weeks. Three weeks without her. Three weeks of utter and complete nightmare, every time I close my eyes I see her, my sister.

"We're encircled, there is nothing we can do."  She says looking in my eyes while holding Hannah.

"No we can escaped, we must. Maybe if we-" I say as I try to find a way out 

"-Amber listen to me ! " I turn over and face her "It's over, we don't have enough ammunitions, it's a lost cause" She says in a serious tone.

"We have knifes we can kill them all" I shoot one of them in its head.

"They are too many of them!" 

I fire at the walkers ignoring her remark, She joins me. Hannah's whining and hiding from the undeads behind her mother. No sooner had I shot at one of the them than few more come closer I then realize that we are not going to survive. She was right.

Suddendly, throws me her bag and perilously approaches the herd.

"What are you doing?" I shout fearing the worst

"A lure." 

"What ?! EMILY COME BACK IMMEDIATELY!" I yell while I grasp a walker by the hair and stab it  in its head, pieces of  brain coming off  as I retrieve my knife.

She ignores my comment.

"Mom?"

"Hannah go with auntie Amber please." The 11 year-old does as her mother says.

"EMILY PLEASE COME BACK"

Still no response.

"AMBER GO! "  Walkers surround her gradually. "One of us has to die and I could not live knowing I left my little sister behind. You deserve to live Amber, you're made for this world. I love you Amber. Please take care of Hannah, you're the only family she has left. Hannah I love you so much, you're a brilliant little girl, you're tough, please be nice with auntie Ambs." Hannah starts crying now understanding what's happening.  "Now GO!" Emily faces us before pouncing on the herd.

"MOM!"

"NO!" I scream looking at her petrified.

Hannah can't help but to head towards her mother

"No don't, we have to go." I catch her hand.

Soon all the walkers rush over her and devour her while she cries in agony. I hold Hannah tighly and cover her eyes not to let her catch a glimpse of her mother's state. I shoot at some of the walkers to stop them from eating Emily alive but I quickly run out of ammo.

"I'm sorry" I sob before running away with Hannah as far as possible. My vision is blurred as the tears keep dropping on my cheeks.

It all happened too quick, I didn't get to tell her goodbye neither to tell her"I love you". She died for me, for Hannah, now I have to live with this weigh on my conscience.