28 ~ The Verity

"What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it's supposed to be."

Ruhanika

"I need to tell you something, Dev," I stated.

"Yes, you do need to tell me something, Rooh," he said, skimming over me. As he continued to stare at my face, I became more conscious. What is he talking about? He grabbed my hand and moved towards the couch. His grasp was firm. He was resentful of something. Is this an upsetting day or what? Everyone is upset for one reason or another.

He made me sit on the couch and knelt in front of me. He cupped my face and looked at me with a blank expression. I could see the rage in his eyes.

"Who?" He contested, his voice agitated. The expression on his face made me afraid. His olive-green eyes were resolute. I knew lying was not an option for me. Despite knowing what he wanted to know, I chose to act casually and ignore his question.

"What are you saying?" I blurted out.

"You understand it very well, Rooh." His voice was stern, with an underlying prognosis.

"I have no idea what you are talking about, Dev." I tried to put an end to the situation, disregarding his prediction.

"Rooh, what happened?" He made it clear by his tone and glare that he would not back down from this. I avoided eye contact and looked down, determined to remain silent.

"Nothing," I responded.

"Who the fuck got you crying?" He contested again. I shivered at the intensity. I wanted to deny it again, but I couldn't.

"I am asking you something, Rooh. Do not even try to deny this. Your eyes are swollen and red, you have been crying about something, tell me what happened." He inquired again.

Tears welled up in my eyes again as I remembered what Arjun Bhaisa had said. My heart was once again distressed; I did not like complaining like a child, but I wanted to. His soft eyes, his care, it all made my heart ache.

"Who made you cry, Rooh? I would like the name." He pleaded, causing me to cry. I was sobbing while staring at the floor, unable to look at him.

"I swear I will kill that person if you do not stop crying." He was blazing with rage, and his voice was dark.

My arms wrapped around his shoulders as I gave him a bear hug. After a brief period of shock, he embraced me and stroked my back, hoping to make me feel better. I tried to stop crying, but I couldn't. I sobbed uncontrollably—for every truth and every sorrow. All the while, he held me in his arms, allowing me to cry. His embrace brought me comfort. I longed for this comfort, my uneasy heart soothed in his arms, and now I was ready, willing to speak the truth and accept the consequences. I could not pretend in his presence. I had had enough of playing the tough guy; I had reached my breaking point. I can not hide the truth any longer.

I released the hug and looked at him. He seemed to be in a state of despair, and my tears seemed to be hurting him more than they were hurting me. He put his thumb to my cheeks and gently dabbed at my tears. I tried to smile for him while holding his hands and smooching the back of them.

"I have something to tell you, Dev," I said after taking a deep breath.

"What caused you to cry?" He inquired again. I sighed looking at him, he was discerned to know the matter.

"Nothing; I cried because I missed my family and friends." He darted at me, as if he were reading me, and I maintained eye contact.

"I know you are lying; I am not going to force you to tell me the truth, but I will definitely find out soon," he declared.