serenade me, sinner

After the celebratory drinks were poured and the hotel gleamed and sparkled like new, its crew sat in the newly refurbished lobby, quiet and content. Vaggie sat with Charlie's head lounged on her shoulder, gazing at the light bounce and flicker from the massive stone fireplace. Husk and Angel Dust talked in low voices about nothing in particular while Niffty hung on the spider's shoulders, bored that no bugs had yet made their nests. Cherri Bomb, its newest member, was staring at the ceiling, unusually quiet and deep in thought. Razzle laid on his brother's statue, snoring lightly.

Two of its members were obviously absent from the afterparty. Alastor, the company's hotel manager, and Lucifer - whose title was undetermined at the moment. Alastor was always floating in and out of the hotel doors, so no one questioned what he was up to. Lucifer, on the other hand, had excused himself earlier to return to the Magne home to pack up some remaining items. To say that Charlie was worried was an understatement.

"It's going to be different, having dad around." Charlie nudged closer to Vaggie, arms crossing. Her dad was the King of Hell. The most terribly powerful creation in this vast abyss, his reign had lasted over ten thousand years. But all the while across these eons, he had Lilith, her mother. Her mother was the apple of her father's eye. With her gone, her dad was lost in the shadows of an intense depression.

"Is that a happy sentiment, or...?" Vaggie kissed the top of Charlie's head.

"Well, you know... even before mom left.." Trailing off, the last memory of her mother flashed and she cringed.

"You didn't see him much." Vaggie held Charlie's hand. "Hey, it's probably going to be a little awkward at first, but sometimes kids' bond with their parents when they're older. Plus, he seems pretty proud of you. Just saying."

"I just... Ugh. I don't know. I just got a bad feeling is all." Charlie let out a deep sigh.

"Well, think of this as an opportunity for you two to really get to know each other. We can't help what he thinks. So just be you. I mean, I love this Charlie. I think he will too."

Charlie smiled warmly and lifted her gaze toward her fallen Angel. "Thanks Vaggie." The two shared a small kiss.

——-

His house had been empty for so long. Now, with most of his belongings moved to his new suite, it was finally empty of him too. The very last items that remained were those portraits that contained his charming wife, Lilith. One had him, Lil, and Char Char hugging. Another, a group photo with them and the Von Eldritch's, hung in his office. He thought that leaving them here would numb the pain - out of sight, out of mind, he told himself. But in his heart, he held the high hope that maybe one day these halls would be welcomed back by him with Lily hand in hand.

With a long, dramatic sigh, Lucifer grabbed one last bag, and placed his palm on the most recent portrait of his family. "Hope to see you soon, Lil." he whispered. Red swirled around him with dazzling golden glitter, and instantly he appeared in his new, brightly lit quarters. It was gigantic and made to look like the inside of a circus tent. Pictures of Charlie sat upon the walls. His favorite, one of her and him at his work bench when she was still a kid, was staring right at him. Most of the walls were filled with his vast rubber duckie collection - but some walls were blank - for new memories. Lilith was gone. He had to set his mind towards something else.

It was nearing eleven p.m. Unbelievably tired from the fight with Adam, plus the creation of the hotel had him beat. Not to mention having to deal with that giant prick of a sinner, Alastor. Dealing with that guy was an absolute chore. How do you go up to the supreme ruler of hell, call him short, and expect him NOT to want to kill you? The utter audacity of it all! But, if Charlie was okay with him, then he was too. To an extent.