𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 ᅳ 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐨𝐮𝐭

Huffing and puffing, Sage paced her father's living room, making everyone nervousᅳ but she couldn't sit down like everyone else and keep her cool. Not while her stupid younger sister thought she had to play mind games with her.

For once Sage wanted to enjoy her peace, the time with Happy and Violet. It could've been so perfect now with the news. The pregnancy was unexpected, but both were happy to become parents again and to be able to see Violet grow up with a sibling.

Everything was perfect at the moment and of course, as if it was her fucking mission in life, Fawn had to ruin everything while she was supposed to be in jail.

"Sweetie, can you please sit down", Tig asked, his voice laced with tiredness as he rubbed his exhausted face. "You're making me nervous."

"Oh me?" Sage snorted a bitter laugh, stopping in her tracks. "I'm making you nervous? Your other daughter should make you nervous."

"Sage, you know what I mean." Tig examined his daughter, who seemed more irritated than usual. It took a lot to get Sage so worked up.

"Sage, sit down." A low growl rattled through Happy's throat before he grabbed his wife's wrist and pulled her onto the well-used couch next to him. "Stop getting so worked up, it's not good for you."

"Great, now you all tell me what to do", Sage huffed offendedly, her arms crossed over her chest as she let herself fall back into the soft cushion with a scoff, her gaze landing on Ima as she held Violet in her lap. "Are you at least on my side? Or am I making you nervous too?"

"Sage, we're all on your side", the blonde emphasized with sympathy reflecting in her blue eyes as she slowly bounced the leg Violet was sitting on up and down, making the one-year-old giggle.

Seeing Violet laugh, which was actually the most beautiful thing in the world, caused Sage to burst into tears out of nowhere, completely confusing, and worrying, everyone in the room except for Happy. But the thought that maybe even Violet was in danger was just getting on Sage's last nerve.

"Hey, what's wrong with you, kid?" Tig rose from his seat and a moment later crouched down in front of Sage, who was just swatting Happy's hand away as he tried to rest it on her leg to comfort her. "Why do you think we're not on your side? We just don't know what to do right now. But Fawn can't hurt you, baby, she's in prison and you're here with us."

"Bullshit! If she can call to threaten me, she must've accomplices too", the blonde choked out, rubbing the back of her hand over her nose as tears streamed down her face. "What if she's in contact with someone out here, huh? What if someoneᅳ if someone hurts Violetᅳ"

She couldn't finish her sentence, the sobs keeping her from being able to form words. Seeing her mother like that made Violet cry too, causing Happy to immediately take her from Ima with a sigh and carried her across the room to calm his daughter.

As he came to a stop behind Sage, he placed a hand on her shoulder. This time she didn't slap it away.

"No one will come anywhere near Violet, little girl. And anyone who tries will have to get past me first", he croaked, sounding deadly serious while menace was clear in his tone. "Do you trust me? Us?"

Sniffling almost hysterically, the blonde nodded hastily, her curls bouncing as she did so. "Of course I trust you, I'm just scared. A quiet, peaceful life without Fawnᅳ that's all I fuckin' wanted."

"And it'll stay that way", Tig assured her, patting her knee as he tilted his head to the side. "But that's not all, is it? You don't normally lose your nerves so quickly."