𝙰 𝙳𝚊𝚝𝚎

A: Be ready before seven, Lily. I'll come pick you up.

I held my phone in my hand, and to say that I was confused was an understatement. Be ready for what, exactly? I was packing Emmy's bag, filled with everything she'll need while she's staying over at Ryle's. Me and him had always had an awkward relationship after the divorce, but I couldn't help but notice how he was acting a bit more aggressive nowadays. Around two days ago, when I dropped Emmy off with him, he snapped at me. And even though he did apologize later, I didn't know what to think of it.

Atlas and his text were in the back of my mind as I went to Josh and let him know that I was leaving. Grabbing Emmy's hand, I led her to the car, and in around half an hour, we were at Alyssa and Marshall's apartment. 

I had allowed Ryle unsupervised visits some time ago, but I mostly tried to make sure he was with Emmy when someone else was present too. I didn't know if he noticed, but at this point, I really didn't even care.

"Marshall!" Emmy ran straight for him, and he picked her up, twirling her around. I smiled as I looked at Rylee who came up to me. I hugged her, and then placed a kiss on her forehead as she grinned. It had been a while since we were all together. 

"You seem to have forgotten us now that you're married, you know." Marshall whispered as we went to the living room, where Ryle was sitting, on the phone with someone. When he saw us enter, he hurriedly said goodbye, but the call, and then took Emmy in his arms, who had wriggled out of Marshall's grip. The grin on his face made my heart soften.

I didn't hold any feelings for this man anymore, but he was the father to my child, and seeing them interact made me so happy. Marshall announced he'd ordered pizza, and we put on Netflix while Ryle and Emmy played with each other. Rylee was sitting on my lap, with Alyssa next to me, and Marshall sitting between her and Ryle, his arm draped around her shoulder lazily.

"Did you notice Ryle acting weird?" I blurted out in a whisper to Alyssa, who looked over at me, a bit concerned.

"No, is everything alright?"

"Yeah, no, I was just asking."

"Did something happen?"

"For God's sake, stop it."

"You're the one who started it all."

"As if."

I heard Alyssa's chuckle and found myself grinning. This was good, being back here again. Sometimes Atlas would tag along (especially coerced by Alyssa). Marshall and him had started out awkwardly, but they were pretty close now. They always had these inside jokes that we thought were really lame. As for Atlas and Ryle, they had this mutual respect. They always maintained a distance and seemed cold and distant in front of each other. Ryle wouldn't like it when Atlas would hold Emmy in front of him at first. I thought it made him insecure as a father. But I didn't contemplate on his feelings. 

I didn't need to.

He wasn't my responsibility anymore. 

***

I left a bit later, because it was almost six and I didn't want to be late when Atlas came to pick me up. I wore a short black dress with leggings and long boots, draping a black coat over myself and grabbing my purse to top it all. I had tied my hair into a bun, and was almost done with my makeup when I got a text from him saying he was downstairs and waiting. Giving myself a few last minute touches, I said goodbye to Josh, who was lounging in the living room and went downstairs where he was waiting for me. Without saying anything, he opened the door of the car for me and then came in himself.

"Where are we going, Atlas?" I asked, and he glanced at me before turning his attention back on the road.

"Honestly, I don't have it planned out at all. I was thinking of the restaurant we went to for our first date, though."

"Alright, I'm fine with that."

"Are you sure you won't fall asleep again?"

"Atlas."

"Lily."

"Stop!"

"Make me."

"You're an idiot, you know that?"

"Pretty much, yeah. But like I said before, I'm an idiot you married, so..."

"Don't rub it in my face."

"You regret marrying me?"

"Of course not - would you stop putting me in awkward situations."

"Your wish is my command. But only if you promise not to doze off."

"I'm seriously contemplating killing you."

"Anything to keep you from falling asleep."

We both stop talking, sitting in a comfortable silence as I stared out the window at the beautiful but cloudy night sky. And then I felt Atlas intertwining our fingers, and subconsciously leaned into him, all enmity forgotten.

"I love you, Lily." he whispered to me, and even though he had said this to me so many times, I couldn't control the tremor that passed through me.

"The feeling's mutual, Mr. Corrigan."