𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 ᅳ 𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐭

The ticking of the clock on the wall cut through the silence, the only sound for an eternity besides Fawn's loud breathing, caused by a lung infection she had caught in prison a few weeks ago

The ticking of the clock on the wall cut through the silence, the only sound for an eternity besides Fawn's loud breathing, caused by a lung infection she had caught in prison a few weeks ago. Her dark blonde strands clung to her sweat-covered face, some strands just in front of her mouth blowing in a different direction with each breath.

Sage just watched as her sister grew weaker by the minute, wondering what the reason was. So far she hadn't asked a single question, she was enjoying the moment of having power over Fawn too much.

The loaded gun was lying in her lap, one leg crossed over the other while her arm rested comfortably on the beige armrest and her free, petite hand gripped the handle of the weapon in her lap, ready to fire at any moment if Fawn would try anything.

This time Sage wasn't going to let her little sister get away, no matter what kind of person that made her. Now they not only had Violet to protect, but soon another little miracle whose life Sage wouldn't risk.

"Now, tell me how exactly you got here", Sage began, humming under her tongue as her gaze bored into Fawn. "Did you bribe a guard? Let one of them fuck you to get a few hours outside? Or.." Sage untangled her legs to bend forward, her forearms now crossed on her legs while the gun dangled in front of her knees. "Did you make a deal? Did you rat in exchange for getting out?"

There were a lot of options, Sage had only the ones that made sense to her, the ones that sounded the most logical.

"None of thatᅳ apparently you're not that smart after all." Fawn's dry chuckle was interrupted by a short coughing fit, blood splattering all over Fawn's hand and landing on her bare legs, which were only covered by a pair of gym shorts.

"What's going on with you?" Sage demanded, her eyes narrowed slightly as she ignored Fawn's teasing. "Are you sick? Contagious?"

Anger bubbled up in Sage, but a glimmer of panic also flashed in her eyes. She was aware that Fawn didn't care whether she would give anyone a disease. Hell, the youngest Trager would probably even do it on purpose after being rejected by everyone.

Sage was just worried about Violet and the baby.

"Lung infection", Fawn explained with a shrug, her voice rough and raspy as she sank back into the cushion, her body slowly giving up. "That was my ticket out."

"You smart bitch." Sage let out a scoff, shaking her head with her tongue pressed against the inside of her cheek. "They transferred you to a hospital and ran away from there."

"Ten points for you." Almost proudly, Fawn raised one corner of his mouth, snorting mockingly. "You're not that stupid after all. I let the guard outside my door fuck me so he'd let me run. That needy bastard was really easy to manipulate."

"Shut up", the former redhead rolled her eyes in annoyance, moving the gun in her hand slightly with a twitch of her wrist. "Now I know how you did it. But why are you so fuckin' stupid and risk ending up in prison for the rest of your life just to make a little trip to my house, huh?"