Chapter 3: What About An Agreement?

The sound of Krish's heartbreaking rang in his ears violently like glass shattering. Jiya's words had crushed him beyond what he felt to be repair.

"Jiya please." Krish murmured sorrowfully. These were the only words he could muster up the strength to say in such a moment. He hated that she was being so closed-minded, but he could understand. Everything was so fresh and so new for her. He couldn't blame her for that.

"I have seen everything I wanted to see... I don't want to hurt you or your children, but I can't live what I consider a lie. I don't know them or you so I don't love--" Jiya began to finish her statement but Krish urgently placed his hand over her mouth to silence her. His eyes were now becoming moist. He couldn't physically or mentally take the words she almost dared to slip from her lips. Jiya was caught off guard by his actions but didn't fight him back. The emotion in his eyes held her captive. She felt as if she couldn't look away, she felt as if she couldn't speak or even move.

"Don't say you don't love any of us

"Don't say you don't love any of us. You do! You just don't remember." Krish sighed allowing his tears to fall freely; the man was mentally exhausted for one day. Slowly he brought his hand down from Jiya's lips placing it over his heart as if to calm it. Quietly they sat for a while. Jiya thought it best to let him breathe and completely catch his breath before she spoke again. In the meantime, she comforted him the best way she knew by gently patting and rubbing his back.

"I'm so sorry. I won't say those words... But Krish I don't feel anything but guilt and frustration. I'm sorry for the words I will say next....But maybe if we divorce you can find a proper wife to take care of you and your children to complete this household. I think that would be best for you all." Jiya suggested sincerely. She kept her eyes away from the man almost scared to see what his reaction would be. Krish scoffed at his wife being so cold. He felt as if she were kicking him when he was already down. Without permission, he used his finger to lift her chin forcing their eyes to meet again. Jiya stared deeply into his eyes finding it hard to turn away. His eyes commanded all of her attention and effort once again. She could see the love he had for her glowing in them. The love she knew nothing about. It terrified her, but she admired it for the first time truly empathizing with him and his strong emotions.

"You're the only wife and mother we need or could ever want to complete this household, Jiya. We love you so much and I know you can't understand that right now, but please bear with us. You'll learn to love us I guarantee it." Krish insured her. Again he couldn't help but touch her against her wishes. He held both of her hands within his own shaken ones. Worry was overtaking him. What if he couldn't change her mind? He had already lost his wife in one way, losing her altogether would destroy him. It would destroy their family. 

"But you can't guarantee that Krish...When I look at myself in these portraits around this huge mansion. I don't see myself. I don't recognize who I am." Jiya confessed truthfully. She didn't want to try, and not be able to live up to what his children saw her as. To what he saw her as. Everything about him seemed too damn perfect. What if she couldn't measure up? On the other hand, Jiya also wanted to be selfish. Mentally she was 10 years in the past. She remembered being youthful and single, her decisions and thoughts had only impacted her. Now, here she was with a family of people that could be affected. The change was just too drastic. Too life-changing. Anyone would agree.