The Move

Willow Creek has always been my whole world—slow-paced, full of faded dreams, and wrapped around me like a well-worn blanket. But lately, that familiarity has started feeling like indifference, like being trapped in a cage.

Growing up here, I've seen so many people give up on their dreams because of the limited opportunities. It's like Willow Creek has become a place where dreams come to die, and that feeling is suffocating.

The nickname "The spot where dreams go to perish," echoes through conversations frequently, and it's hard not to feel its weight.

My parents see things differently. They believe in new beginnings, and had to make a bold decision that would reshape my future.

So, here I am, on my way to Florida for college, feeling a mix of nerves and anticipation. Who knows what adventures lie ahead? Leaving Willow Creek behind feels like stepping into a whole new world, one full of possibilities waiting to be discovered.

Sure, I'll miss the familiar sights and sounds of home, but I'm also excited for what's ahead. Maybe this change of scenery will kickstart my–

"Summer, come downstairs! There's someone here to say goodbye!" My mother's voice cuts through the stillness, jolting me back to the present.

"Just a second!" I call out, quickly closing my journal.

With a final glance around my childhood bedroom, I close the door on one chapter of my life and head downstairs.

The living room glows with a golden hue as sunlight streams through the white curtains, painting simple patterns on the worn out carpet beneath my feet.

By the doorway, my parents stand, their eyes reflecting a mix of sadness and pride.

"Summer, sweetheart, we're going to miss you," my mother says, her voice thick with emotion.

"I'll miss you both too," I reply, "but this is something I have to do."

Following a heartfelt conversation that seemed to stretch on, I make my way out onto the porch, dragging my suitcase along behind me.

As I stand there, the scene of Willow Creek unfolds before me, with trees swaying in perfect harmony with the gentle breeze.

Interrupting my train of thought, a voice I know well rings out.

"Summer, hey!"

I turn, brushing my long blonde hair to the side to get a clear view of who's calling for me.

It's Leah Hall, my best friend since childhood, our connection formed by the close friendship our moms have.

"Leah, you're here!" I exclaim, surprised.

"Of course, couldn't let you slip away without a proper goodbye," she states firmly.

"I can't believe you're abandoning me," she jokes, though a hint of disappointment shadows her words.

"I know, it's hard for me," I admit, releasing a sigh.

"Cheer up guys! This is something to look forward to," my dad chimes in, stepping onto the porch, my mother trailing behind.

"Don't forget, your cousin Grace will be the one picking you up from the airport," my mother reminds me, attempting to spark some excitement.

"Oh, right! I completely forgot," I respond, the detail slipping my mind momentarily.

Our conversation is cut short by the sound of a vehicle pulling into our driveway, its tires crunching over the gravel.

"Well, looks like your ride is here," my mother remarks, giving my shoulder a comforting squeeze.