A Throne Of Maple Leafs

The snow swirls like caressing fingers leaving my cheeks burning, my breath makes Smokey white clouds with every exhale. I pull my hood tighter and quicken my progress, the moons almost to its apex. Years of planning and sacrifices will pay off tonight.
This will work.
This will work.
I repeat it in my head like a chant, it has to work. I shutter at the thought of failing and facing the punishment.
I stop and unfold the map tucked under the thick fox fur cloak. If I’m correct I should be there soon, the clearing should be through the thick grove of trees. I fold the map back up and replace it then sprint lightly through the trees. I’m about to take the map back out when I break through the dense foliage into the perfectly round clearing..
I made it.
Layla’s ring, the small folk call it, I look to the moon and see I only have a few minutes.
"I must not fail" I whisper.
Crouching down I swing the pack off my back and begin to flip through the book.
A leather-bound masterpiece that most students of the dark arts would kill to get. The thin pages shutter in the wind.
As the moon reaches its apex, I run the blade of the dagger across my palm letting it pool and spill over onto the snow. Leaning forward I read the fading words aloud three times,
"Snoom evif eht fo rood eht nepo
Edilac tsum dlrow owt"
"Snoom evif eht fo rood eht nepo
Edilac tsum dlrow owt."
"Snoom evif eht fo rood eht nepo
Edilac tsum dlrow owt."
For a moment nothing happens. Did I do it wrong? Have I failed? He said I mustn't fail; his rage will be horrible to withstand.
Just as I start to close the book a door begins to materialize in front of me. White and ornate, I creep closer and put my ear to the cold and frosty wood. I hear movement but no voices.
"Eloise?" I whisper, not sure what else to do.
I am not to go through the door its forbidden. I must lure her out and, quickly, I don’t have long.
"Eloise..." I say louder.
"Eloise, Eloise..."
It takes a few minutes but the sound of something heavy being moved soon echoes through the clearing.
"What the hell!"
The voice is faint almost as if she’s whispering through the door. The girl’s voice is scared or maybe confused.
What if she doesn't come through? How will I tell him? I back away from the door until I’m concealed by the thick trees. I take a thick cloth from my pack and tie it around my face so my breath does not give me away, she mustn't see me yet. I sit counting my heart beats waiting for her to step through.
Hoping.
The sound of the door nob wobbling send my heart racing. The door swings open slowly and a thin bone white arm reaches through. Warm light fills the clearing, and the smell of something appetizing. Her fingers close around the snow flakes landing in her palm.
A beautiful girl, kissed by fire steps out into the perfect white snow, a look of wonder behind her eyes. Her black dress makes her skin look like milk. I watch her for a few moments strangely mesmerized by her before remembering my jobs not done.
I open the book one last time and utter the last of the spell,
"Esolc tsum ti won denepo neeb sah rood eht"
As the last syllable leaves my lips the world she came forth from dissolve’s into the air. she is looking straight up at the falling snow. The light fades leaving her to bathe in moon light. I place the book back in my pack then tighten my cloak before taking one last look at the girl.
She’s panicking opening and closing the door, silly girl, that wont work.  Welcome to Petrova lady Eloise. I almost want to step out of the shadows and help her. No, I will be patient.
"Soon Eloise." I whisper. I must go before she sees me; I must return and give my report. I have succeeded.

CHAPTER ONE – Memories

           When I was a little girl, I used to visit my aunt Maggie every summer vacation. She had a large house with open fields and a magical forest that stretched to the east as far as the eye could see. There is a feeling of magic to it, like anything can happen.
My mother and father separated when I was nine. My father left suddenly, and we never heard from him again. My mother moved us to Alaska and stopped talking about my father; it was as if he had died.
I never got to go back to the house where I would pretend fairies were dancing in the garden as a child. I can picture it perfectly—three stories, white with a red door and columns. When I close my eyes, I can still see the windows glowing at nightfall, an old swing that hangs from the nearby tree. I can even still see the vines growing up on the side of her house.
I loved the smell of the wildflowers that surrounded the big house. I can still recall running in the woods pretending I was having my very own Adventures, like my aunt used to read to Conner and me before bed.
That was eleven years ago. My aunt Maggie passed away a few weeks ago. To my family's shock, she left everything to me.
I live with my mom and brother in Alaska. My aunt lived in Aberdeen, a small town on the west coast. My mother would not let me go by myself; with fear in her eyes, she made me promise to bring my brother. I argued I could do this on my own! Her words echo in my mind,
"Eloise, I'm not letting my only daughter move thousands of miles away all by herself. You never know what's going to happen." In the end, I caved. If it gave her peace, I'd take Conner with me. 
My flight lands in Seattle early afternoon. The three-hour flight feels like it took a lifetime. I hate flying. It's another two-hour drive to my new house. The town of Aberdeen is small but cute. It hasn't changed at all over the years. My new house is on the outskirts in the dead center of nothing. I wonder why anyone would want this much privacy?
By the time I get there, the sun is close to going down; the sky is a deep golden orange. I step out of the car, turning to appraise the house. Not a lot has changed over the years here as well. It might need a new coat of paint, but the house still looks sturdy. The grounds are as lush as I remembered. The smell of spring is thick in the air. Slowly I walk to the house, taking my time.
Dread swells inside me; this is all mine. I’ve had this feeling in the pit of my stomach for weeks now, wondering why she left it just to me? Why not have Conner and I split it? What's more confusing is that she didn't just leave me her house but all her assets; not a single thing left to Conner. He played it off like it didn't bother him, but I could tell it did.
I hear car tires on the gravel of my new driveway. A shiny black car pulls up to the house. A blonde lady with bright white teeth and a striking figure waves to me through her open window. She steps out of her vehicle; I'm instantly reminded of Malibu Barbie. She's tall, dressed in red, with oversized black sunglasses.
"Well, hi there! you must be Eloise?" I smile and shake her hand.
"Yes, please call me Ella,"
"My name is Mrs. Daisy Brown; please feel free to call me daisy.
"Now before we go any further, I must warn you the house has been empty for three years,"
Wait, If the house has been empty for a few years, and aunt Maggie just died a few weeks ago, then where was she for all that missing time?
"Your aunt instructed me to give you this."
Daisy hands me a large manila envelope; in soft, elegant writing is my name along the top.
"She was such a nice lady; we will all miss her." Her voice has such a strange twang.
"Thank you, and thank you for taking the time to drive out here," I say as she passes me the keys to the house.
"Of course, you have a great night and enjoy your new home."
I watch her drive away before deciding it's time to go in; I smell rain in the air.
The house is dark; it smells musty. I run my hand along the wall, trying to find a light switch. A twinge of fear drops in my stomach. What if the lights don't turn on? I panic a little; most girls of nineteen usually do not know how to set up electricity for a house.
Luck, however, is on my side for once!
After a few moments of groping in the dark, I find the switch—the lights to the entrance flicker to life.
I am dazzled.
It's just as I remember. Even though everything is dusty, the black marble floor looks like an ocean. Little ripples of gold and silver swirls around the dirty black stone. A large staircase that five men could walk up is directly in front of me. A carpet of deep gold runs from the door all the way up the black marble stairs. The walls are the color of burnt cream, warm and inviting.
There's a set of large doors to my left and another set of doors to my right. If my memory is correct, to the left is the living room, and to the right is a hall that leads to the kitchen and a bathroom. I decide to start in the living room; I swing both the heavy oak doors open. I'm assaulted by a plume of dust. Coughing, I look for a light switch. Once the lights are on, I take in the space. My aunt had expensive taste, something she and I do not have in common.
Nobody, not even I, could deny the beauty of this room. Cushion couches and soft chairs, antique tables, and beautiful lamps litter the space tastefully. The walls are sky blue, decorated in what looks like turn-of-the-century art; it's comfortable even if it's pretentious. The time on the grandfather clock is stuck at seven forty three; the clock must be broken.
I often fell asleep on the couch listening to the pendulum swing as a kid. It doesn't feel right without the familiar sound. I would have to make a note to fix it; I can afford that now.
I start feeling overwhelmed by my aunt's generosity; I decide to go upstairs and see if I can find a suitable bedroom.
The house has five bedrooms—a master bedroom, a room for children, and three guest rooms. As well as a small guest house beside the property, which I have never been in. My aunt forbade it; aunt Maggie caught Conner and me trying to peek through the windows once; it was the only time she ever yelled at us. I will have to see if I can find the key and check it out.
I head upstairs, flipping lights on as I go. I avoid the master bedroom; sleeping in her room wouldn't feel right.
Instead, I pick a large room opposite it with a private bathroom. The wallpaper is white with light purple roses; it's peeling in some spots. The bed frame is a white Oak canopy. The bedding looks expensive, the color of lilac. Again I notice the Antiques and the paintings. I am going to have to go through everything. Maybe I will have a yard sale, surely, one person does not need this much furniture. I sit on the bed, and a cloud of dust surrounds me. Coughing, I think to myself, this simply will not do.
After searching the large house, I finally find a linen closet. I won't have my bedding until tomorrow when the movers come; this is inferior planning on my part. I make the bed and change into pajamas; I order pizza and watch a movie on my computer. It's well past midnight when I decide to hit the hay; today has been long enough. My bed is nice and soft; I fall asleep with ease.
I wake suddenly, my eyes open wide. I lay there feeling invisible eyes on me. The first rays of sunshine seep through my windows, illuminating the room with warm light.
My breathing slows as I can see I'm alone.
The house is quiet; I'll have to sleep with the radio on. I get out of bed and dress in my favorite hunter green slip dress that hangs just above my knees. The back is cut out, so it's suitable for the heat. I pull my hair into a messy bun and head downstairs. Now that the sun is out, I can see how filthy the house is. I decide to start in the entrance hall just in case anybody needs to stop by. I giggle aloud at the thought as if anybody in this town even knows who I am. I start to scrub the floor and then vacuum the rug as well as the stairs. Not only that, I dust the paintings and polish the furniture. Room by room, hour by hour, making it livable.
I cannot help but think about my Aunt Maggie. Why did she leave it to me out of everybody in the family?
By the time early evening hits, most of the downstairs is clean except for the kitchen, which did not so much need to be cleaned as it needed to be wiped down and stocked.
The movers show up around five, I help the two men move in all my boxes. Once they leave, I decide to lug the bedroom boxes upstairs and put my things away. As I pull the first box forward, I see it's filled with my clothes. For the first time, I notice I do not have a closet.
This will not do.
I go from room to room; not a single one has a closet or cabinet or even a dresser. I stop in front of the master bedroom. Opening the door slowly, a chill runs down my back as I step in. The smell of my aunt is overwhelming; it almost feels like she is standing with me. I turn on the lights and drink in her room. The walls are rich red; the bed is a canopy made of polished and shiny Blackwood. Black curtains filled with dust hang like a vale on a bride from the bed frame. The bedding is a deep gold with red roses stitched into the blankets and pillows. The floors are cherry oak, dull and fading. Beside a rocking chair is an ample wardrobe with carved double doors.
After failing miserably to move the wardrobe more than two feet, I admit defeat and move my boxes into my aunt's bedroom.
I clean the room top to bottom, then start putting my things away. Seeing all my books on the shelves makes me feel more at home. I wash her bedding and hang it so it can dry overnight. As I am replacing her pictures with mine, I hear a knock from downstairs. Rushing down, I open the door breathless. Sweat is rolling down my back from working all day.
I look around, but nobody is there.
On my porch instead is a little brown package. A red rose is stamped on it, sealed with thick crimson wax. I sit on my bed in my room; as I tear open the brown wrappings. In a simple box is another box covered in Black Velvet. I open it slowly; inside is a gold chain with a red tear-shaped gem the size of an apricot.
Who sent it? My mind instantly goes to my aunt; she's the only person I know with such rich taste. The necklace is ice-cold; I slip the thick gold chain over my head. It's long and heavy; I run my finger across the ruby, thinking of my aunt.
When I was seven, My brother and I liked to play in the woods beside my aunt's property. Conner got mud all over my new dress, mad I ran to tell on him. I found Aunt Maggie on the phone. She was fighting with someone.
"You're selfish! This is about more than you! you have a responsibility!"
She waited for a reply tapping her foot angrily until she turned and saw me watching her.
"I have to go. Ella is listening." She said in a rush.
After a moment, she hung up, slamming the phone down. She bent down, putting both hands on my shoulders, then kissed the top of my head. "Come on, sweetheart, let's make some lunch."
The next day my dad showed up to take us home early. I remember being confused. Dad put us in the car and told Conner and me to wait there.
"I need to talk to your aunt,"
They argued on her porch for a few minutes. Then dad took a black box out of his coat and tossed it to her before walking away. Could this be the same box? I examine it, turning it over, hoping to find a note or a card. There is no return address.
The wrappings simply say, To Eloise Parker.
After driving into town to get late-night groceries and supplies, I eat dinner and take a shower. I decide it's time to get in bed, after locking the doors I head upstairs. When I get up to my bedroom, I notice my phone is flashing. It's a text from my brother telling me he will be here tomorrow morning, not next week. I am so excited I can't stop smiling. My brother Connor is my best friend. We are twins; I am technically older by six minutes.
Being away from him is tricky; we have never been apart for so long. We both have bright green eyes; my hair is red like my father's, but Conner has my mom's soft honey color. I am so distracted texting him back I don't notice where I'm walking. I trip over one of my boxes, reluctantly realizing I never did put my clothes away. With a sigh, I face the wardrobe.
It is beautiful!
The Black polished wood is carved with the Four Seasons. I can't decide which is more attractive. It truly is my favorite piece in the house. Inlaid with gold, pearls, rubies, and emeralds.
I open both the heavy doors, the smell of dust clings to it. The wardrobe is full of my aunt's clothing. I empty the boxes filled with my clothes and neatly fold and pack my aunt's clothes. I notice a lot of ball gowns; what the hell did she need these for? I find one I adore.
Soft black sheer and lace make up the fluffy skirt; it has diamonds and pearls along the lace up corset bodice. It makes me think of royalty. I have to try it on! I can't pack it without at least indulging in this one little fantasy. It fits like a glove; I instantly become mesmerized, swirling in front of my mirror. I have never worn anything that compliments my figure so well. The dress is soft and Light. It billows out around me; I pull my curly red hair out of its bun and let it Cascade down my back.
What was that?
I heard a whisper! I spin around, my heart beating like a hummingbird in my chest. Nobody is in the room with me. I step out into the empty hall; all is quiet. I decide it had to have been in my head; I must have imagined it. Annoyed with myself, I reach for an empty box, intending to get back to work.
I stop dead when I hear it again.
It starts to grow louder and louder. I realize it's coming from the wardrobe. I put my hand to its back, shocked to find frost on it. The wood is cold, ice-cold. Confused, I slide the wardrobe away from the wall. Behind the wardrobe stands a door that was not there a few hours ago.
"What the hell!"
The door is white with a silver doorknob; snowflakes are artfully carved into the wood. I put my hand on the door, and the whispering grows louder. I can't understand what it's saying at first, but then I realize it's saying my name.
"Eloise..." it whispers to me.
I put my hand on the frost-covered doorknob. Before turning it, I have enough common sense to know wherever this leads, it's cold. I decide to put shoes on. I slip on my boots, and let the dress fall around my feet. I Square my shoulders, grab one of the thick fur cloaks hanging in the wardrobe, and face the door.
“This is my house! Don't be scared!” I tell myself, trying to muster the courage I do not have.
"Eloise..."
"Eloise..."
the whispering grows louder, and I must admit I'm a little scared as I open the door. The doorknob make's no sound as I twist it. I push it forward and look inside. At first, it seems dark. Then I begin to see fluffy snowflakes coming down. as my eyes adjust, I can make out a forest not far from the door. I slowly reach my hand through the door to see what would happen. The snowflakes that land on my hand are not cold. I can feel the wind, but it doesn't give me chills.
I step through the door and inhale a deep breath. The smell of pine trees is thick in the air. I can hear the hooting of an owl in a nearby tree. I look up; the sky is a dark Frosty White. Snowflakes cascade down slowly as it does in the movies. The ice crunches underneath my feet as I walk forward. It's clear the snow has not been disturbed in a while. The trees are old and large, taller than any trees I’ve ever seen. The wind swirls my hair around me; I look up in wonder.
I feel like I'm in a magic snow globe.
I turn back to look at the door just deciding I should grab my phone and take pictures. My heart sinks; it's open, but, my room is gone.