𝙻𝚘𝚗𝚐𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙵𝚞𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚢

"How many times do I have to apologise?" I asked timidly, and I found myself helpless against Atlas's cold stare. His blue eyes were foggy and I couldn't read his emotions like I did. It reminded me of the times when Ryle used to be in one of his rages. His eyes also clouded up like that.

Would Atlas ever hit me? I don't think he would. Of course he wouldn't. He wasn't like Ryle. I have known him for years and years on end, and I just know he would never betray me like that. If I asked, I know he would place the world at my feet if he could. Honestly, that's the difference between Ryle and Atlas. Ryle would always apologise profusely when such things happened, but I knew Atlas would never let there be a reason for him to say sorry to me. 

I used to love when Ryle did that. The way he said sorry. After the initial impact, it used to strike me as sweet. But he paled in front of Atlas. That's why he was my husband right now and Ryle wasn't. I needed to get myself out of this dilemma.

Honestly, by this point, I felt sorry for him. For Ryle. I know what he went through wasn't easy, but he wasn't right in taking out his anger on me. That's what I always have to remind myself. He wasn't - isn't - worth me. Like my mother said. 'If Ryle truly loved you, he wouldn't allow you to take him back.'

Atlas began walking away to the room, and I grabbed his wrist. I was done with us fighting. This last week had been absolutely hectic and we barely came on to the same page. Forcing him around, I glared at him and he just stared back. This wasn't working. Then, I did the next best thing I could think of.

I kissed him.

Foolhardy, I know. But what was I supposed to do? Beg at his feet?

He was clearly stunned. Like, he didn't even wrap his arms around me like I did around his neck. His lips were parted and when I looked up a bit, I saw his eyes wide with shock. What? I just kissed him. Nothing big. Right?

What if he got offended? What if he said I'd invaded his privacy? What if--

All my rationality dispersed away when he began kissing me back. It was like my logic, my mind, it all went numb when I was near him. He was my damnation. He was going to end up ruining me. And honestly, I couldn't wait for that to happen. After a minute or two, I pulled away, breathless, and looked at him. His cheeks were flushed and he was looking everywhere but me. 

"Atlas."

"Why do you have to be like this?" he said, pulling me so close my nose bumped into him. But then he lowered his head to place slow, teasing kisses on my neck. 

"Like what?" I whispered and he hummed.

"Like a goddess. I'm supposed to be angry at you right now. But I can't, you know. You're like...Persephone. Yes. She also made Hades so smitten he had eyes for nobody but her."

"You know Greek Mythology?"

"Of course I do."

"Well, then, will you be the Hades to my Persephone?"

No reply. I pushed him away and saw he was hesitating. What for? I mean, did he--

"Of course I will." he said, and pecked me on the lips before pulling away and sitting down on the bed, patting at the space next to him.

"Want to watch something on the TV?"

"It's not like I have anything else to do, so why not?"

"I'm your last resort?"

"It seems so."

"Hades is offended. You know, he's the god of the Underworld. He can trap you there forever if he wants to."

"I already trapped myself with you when I ate that seed from those wretched pomegranates."

"You mean when you married me?"

"No. When I met you. You've always been an intriguing person, Atlas."

"Hmm."

"What?"

"Nothing, just come here and sit down." 

I did. I let him wrap his arm around my waist and pull me to him as he flickered between shows. I let him place small kisses across my neck and my jaw. I let myself go, for once, and allowed myself to enjoy this moment, right here, with him. This man, this man had been there for me when no one had.

It took me back to the moment when he found out Ryle had hit me, in the restaurant. 

'You touch her again, and I'll cut your goddamn hand off and shove it down your throat, you worthless piece of shit!'

As much as I do not want to admit it, I felt this longing for Atlas in that tiny moment, despite Ryle. Despite everything. I felt so protected and safe when I was near him. That was because he was the only one who bothered saving me when the monsters tried to push me down into a dark abyss of despair and misery. Sometimes, I didn't know what to do with myself when I wasn't near him. 

Many times, I got hurt by him. But like a moth to a flame, I came back. Always.

***

Did you get the Harry Potter reference? It was Severus's 'Always' (hehe). Sorry for the short chapter, but as I'm writing this in between my finals, that's the best you can get. It got a bit heated, even though I did not mean for it to. Don't forget to upvote!