Chapter 1: First Day of Senior Year

Great. It's 8AM on the first day of school and the boys are ALREADY drooling over me.

I've always been pretty. I never really realized until sophomore year, when a whole swarm of boys asked me to prom. I didn't say yes to any of them, though. I just thought something was missing from every boy who was interested in me. 

I'm walking through the entrance hallway for the 512th time, since I transferred to Cedar Woods High School early in freshman year. I'd been homeschooled my whole life prior to that. It was an adjustment, definitely, and I always felt like I was different. Like there was something I didn't understand about myself. 

Ella, right now's not the time to be thinking about that. School thoughts only.

Senior year isn't going to be easy, judging by the sheer size of my textbooks. I'm carrying them  because my backpack is full of my cheerleading clothes and shoes. 

"Ella," says Grant, my old lab partner. "Where my hug at?"

He's leaning next to the water fountain. Wonderful. I was just about to drink there.

"Sorry, Grant, not interested," I reply, rolling my eyes. 

"At least come to my party tonight. It's at 8 in the old barn off the freeway. Be there or be square."

Grant, desperate as always.

I give him an exasperated look and clutch my textbooks to my chest with one arm to drink from the water fountain.

As I lean over, I hear another voice.

"Ella Silver. Long time no see. That reminds me, I seem to have lost your number. You think you could type it in my phone?"

"Ugh. Give it a rest, Tyson," I scold, and finally lean to drink. 

My textbooks slip from my arm. Darn it, I should've remembered I'm not strong enough to carry these. I'm 4'11" and the petitest girl at school.

"Let me get those for you, Ella," says Grant, crouching to pick up the textbooks.

"That won't be necessary," says a deep, masculine voice. 

A strong, veiny hand tightens on Grant's shoulder. He whips around to put a face to the voice. 

Axel Sharp. The most popular guy, best football player, homecoming king, student government president, and winner of "biggest biceps" and "most likely to become a CEO" in the senior superlatives this year.

"A-Axel? What are you doing here?" stutters Grant. "Rumor is...well, never mind."

"No, Grant," Axel says, shaking his head. "Finish that thought."

"W-Well, rumor is...you're in a cult. I never believed it. I just heard a few people talking about it. Mostly Claire and Tristan. Talk to them."

Axel laughs, picking up the books. Even kneeling, he has a hold over Grant and Tyson. He's a Level 13 F-boy. Combined, Grant and Tyson probably aren't even at a 10.

Axel gets up. 

"I'll carry these for you, Ella. Let's go to class."

The trance Axel has over the two boys seems to break, because Tyson asks cheekily, "What is she, your girlfriend?"

Axel puts his arm around my shoulders and begins to lead me away from them. Looking over his shoulder, he says, "Yeah. Stay the hell away from my girl. I mean that."

I see Tyson and Grant hunching dejectedly by the water fountain as we walk away.

"You're so sweet, babe," I say, slipping my hand into his.

"Just wait until tonight. I...I was gonna ask you this earlier, but would you like to meet my family?"

This catches me off-guard. Axel is a doting boyfriend, but I never thought he would introduce me to his parents after only a few weeks of dating, especially as a high-tier F-boy. 

"Of course! I'd be glad to. Are they...like you?" I ask, looking up at him. He's 6'5", so he towers over me. 

"Yeah. In fact, I think the whole clan will be there. You can meet my apprentice, Xavier. You'll get along with him. He's chill."

"Can't wait," I smile.

"Oh, and just to warn you, my mom thinks we're engaged."

I stop dead in my tracks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PART 2 COMING SOON!!!!