Chapter 1

Spring 2012

"Change my pitch up, smack my bitch up"

My headphones blared the rhythmic beats as I nodded along, laid back on my bed, eyes closed, absorbing the greatness that was The Prodigy. My all time favourite beat band.

I let the music flow through my senses, immersed with the beats as I tapped my fingers either side of me on the mattress to the electronic sound. I loved this shit. I loved the escapism it brought me. A lot of music does that for me I guess. I like most genres, swapping and changing my style as often as my mood. Right now this tune was my go to.

Change my pitch up, smack my- "ouff fuck-" eyes flying open I half yelled half groaned as a large weight threw itself on my supine form, startling me and winding me in the process.

"The hell bro!" I gasped, my startled green hooded eyes met almond shaped russet brown ones, the latter of which were currently sparkling with mirth.

"Just checking you're awake, Sammy" Charlie chuckled, a shit eating grin on his face as he looked down over me, his hand coming down and patting my cheek.

Charlie Smyth. One of my best friends since forever. Well, not forever technically, but since my first day of pre-school when I tripped over his crossed legged form at carpet time whist excitedly running to pick a storybook for morning reading. I went flying like the worst impression of superman, hitting the floor with all the elegance of a sack of potatoes, arms outstretched and my chin taking the worst of the impact, biting my tongue hard in the process. I remember him eagerly trying to help the nursery teacher hold a wad of wet paper towels to my bleeding swollen appendage, me hiccoughing between small cries and sniffs and him apologising repeatedly. Even though it wasn't his fault.

"I want my dada!" I had cried repeatedly between sobs.

"Sshh, Samuel, it's OK, you're ok." Miss Hibbert had soothed. "Daddy will be here to pick you up soon. Why don't you sit over there and draw a picture to give him as a gift? Charlie will stay and look after you. Would that be okay, Charlie? I bet you can cheer Samuel up."

"Yeah I'll stay with you Samuel, don't worry. You can be my new best friend" Charlie stated importantly, giving me a toothless grin, his crinkly brown eyes sparkling as he put his arm out and grabbed my hand.

"Samuel can I call you Sam? Or Sammy?" He asked. "Oh I like Sammy, its cute. Sammy it is!" He decided before I could even answer. I nodded along in slight awe anyway, tears already drying on my cheeks as I let him lead me to a table already set with pots of crayons and stacks of coloured paper.

"What do you wanna draw? Is it gonna be for your daddy and mommy? I like drawing cars. And sheep." Charlie was already reaching for the crayons.

"Umm... I don't know" I replied timidly. "I don't have a momma. So I guess its just for my dada. My momma is in heaven" I sighed heavily looking down, my voice sounding slightly strange as my tongue felt sore and swollen still, tears once again prickling my eyes.

"So your mom's an angel right?" Charlie asked. I looked up. That's what my dada had told me. I felt something inside warming me, somehow that Charlie seemed to know my momma was an angel made me feel a little better but I dont know why.

"Yea she is." I said softly.

"OK, so draw a picture of your mommy. I bet your daddy would like that right?" Charlie looked hopeful and enthusiastic.