1

MAYA'S POV

There's nothing quite like the feeling of getting married and knowing that your husband doesn't love you. In fact, love was pushing it because I knew for a fact he didn't even like me. Though I suppose his feelings towards me are warranted considering I did threaten him into this relationship.

6 months ago

"Ammi, please! I get it, you want me to get married," I let out an exasperated sigh as my mum stood in front of me with her hands on her hips. Her face was dotted with annoyance at having to lecture me again.

"If you get it, then why are you still not married?" She questioned back. It took everything in me to not roll my eyes because I knew I'd get smacked.

Not wanting to have another argument about this matter, I made an excuse of being late to work and hurried out the door, mum still shouting behind me as I did so.

The sun being out in London is as rare as mum keeping quiet, so I relished the feeling on my short commute to work. This 20 minute walk was perhaps the only time of the day where I felt peace. At home it was either mum going on about shaadi and I could always count on someone at work to make my life miserable.

As a matter of fact, someone did decide to make my life miserable at work today which is why I'm still here, an hour after my shift had already ended.

"Stupid idiots," I grumbled as I sorted the documents in front of me into folders. The rest of the pages were printing off behind me when I heard something that made me want to jump from the window. "You're joking!" I shrieked as I spun around and found a jet of ink spluttering out from the printer before ultimately the whole machine came to a halt.

I couldn't believe my luck - this day had officially made it to the top 5 worst days of my life. For a minute all I could do was stare at the mess before I brought my hands up to my face and let out a strangled scream of frustration.

All I wanted to do was go home yet here I am stuck doing a solicitor's work which they couldn't be bothered to do. Oh, and I had to get this done for tomorrow morning so instead of wasting more time, I let myself out of the print room and in search of another printer on the floors.

The floor was quiet at this time of day as everyone else had already logged off for the day (and yes, I was jealous). Most of the lights were off too so there was an ambiguous aura around the office and I tried not to think of the latest serial killer documentary I had just watched while making way to a printer.

Before I could get to it though, someone else was already there. Someone who was highly frustrated.

"Shit, shit, shit! Why won't this work!"

I stopped in my tracks unsure if I should go up to try and help but at this point the person had already turned around.

Surprise entered my system when I realised who it was: Omar Ali. The top shot trainee who was very close to becoming a solicitor himself; the golden staff member everyone knew as polite and considerate...was actually cursing right now.

He seemed just as surprised. His eyes went wide for a second before he relaxed back into that casual demeanour that I was used to seeing, though it didn't help that his usual crisp suit was now crumpled and his tie was hanging loosely from his neck.