Chapter 1: Getting the news

Kayla Frost was with her husband, Jack Frost, and her brother, Charles Xavier in the living room. Her best friend and Charles's wife Kate were getting snacks. Her son Charlie and niece Willow were upstairs playing together. Charles was pacing back and forth, looking at his handful of paperwork, muttering. It was clear Charles was engrossed in his work yet again. He had a little deadline on something and wanted to finish it. Jack had his arm around his wife, trying to watch TV, but was distracted by his brother-in-law's pacing. "Charles, would you maybe sit down?" Jack spoke up, trying to get his attention. Kayla looks at her brother. "Charles, you can take a break. It's ok. We're still young, live a little!" Without taking his eyes off of his paper, he says. "No, no. This is for the school so I can keep it open. It is-"

Charles was interrupted by Jack hitting the back of his head with an empty soda can

Charles was interrupted by Jack hitting the back of his head with an empty soda can. Charles finally looked up from his papers and glared at him. "I got his attention." Jack snickered and Kayla nudged him. Charles huffed. "You try running a bloody school yourself." Kayla sighed. This wasn't the first time they bickered and it definitely won't be the last. "How about this, I look at the paper and you, big bro, can relax on your favorite chair?" She offered calmly since she's pretty much the co-owner. Charles put his hand up. "No, it's my duty to get this done." Jack laughed. "You're already acting like a middle-aged man." "Jack, I swear to god-"

"Hey, I leave the room for 5 minutes only to come back to you both bickering yet again?" Kate's voice interjects as she comes walking in with plates of snacks

"Hey, I leave the room for 5 minutes only to come back to you both bickering yet again?" Kate's voice interjects as she comes walking in with plates of snacks. "Bestie!" Kay said, getting up and helping Kate with the plates. She then glances at Charles and Jack. "What are you two on about this time?" Kate asked. "It's nothing, love. Jack and I are having a lovely chat." Charles answered with a fake smile across his face. "I hate to say it, but I'll say it anyway. Kate, your husband is a spoil sport." Jack stated. Kayla crosses her arms. "Guys, can you get along for at least an hour?" She joked. "C'mon! I'm partly joking!" Jack chuckled and Charles eyed him. "Partly?" "Yes, partly. You are literally working when we all could be relaxing." Jack concurred. So it began, both of them started bickering again. Kate rolled her eyes. "Guys, really, knock it off already." Kayla had an idea to stop the bickering. She went back to Jack and started messing with his hair.

 She went back to Jack and started messing with his hair

Jack looked at her. "What was that for?" He ruffled her hair back. Kayla smiled at him. "I like messing with your fluffy hair. Is that a crime?" She asks jokingly. "Okay, okay. I'll let you off with a warning." He grins as he kisses her softly and holds her close. Jack was sidetracked as both of them made out like a couple of teenagers. To this day, Charles still doesn't know what Kayla saw in Jack. After a while, they pull apart and she leans on her husband.

 After a while, they pull apart and she leans on her husband

Kate sat down on the other couch and looked at Charles. "Why don't you take a break for tonight? After all, the deadline is not until a few days." She stated and Charles thought about it for a second. "Ok, good point." Jack gasps, almost dramatically. "No fair! You listened to her." "She was nice about it." Charles grins. "And you threw a can at me." He added. Kayla used her powers to bring him some of his favorite tea. "Here you go, big bro. This should help." Charles gladly took the mug. "Thank you, sis, you didn't have to." Kayla smiled. "I wanted to. You've done so much in the past few weeks, you deserve it. We all deserve this break. And the kids are growing up so fast. It feels like yesterday that I held Charlie as a newborn." "Same goes for Willow," Charles smirks, looking down at Kate. She had her head on his shoulder. Kayla did the same. Jack smiled and started to look for something. "I'm looking for the remote. Has anyone seen it?" Kate picked it up. "It's right here, do you want it?" Jack shook his head. "Nah, go ahead and change it for me. I have my hands full." He tells her as he is holding his wife.

Kate was flipping through the channels until the news popped up

Kate was flipping through the channels until the news popped up. Charles noticed something. "Turn it up, please, darling." Kate nodded and put the volume up. The news declared that a new virus has arisen and it's highly contagious and deadly. The four of them were taken back. Kay's ears went up. "What does that mean for us?" Charles turned off the TV. "None of us are sick, right?" Jack asked. "We're fine and I'm fine and so are the kids," Kate stated. "They're still upstairs." "We'll take extra precaution around here, just to be sure of everyone's safety. I'm going to get the nurse to check on everyone's health." Charles said, standing up. "Should I tell the kids?" Kayla asked. He thought for a second. "Wait for now. I think it will be best if we all tell them together. From all four of us." With that Charles leaves. Kate leans on the couch. "This came out of nowhere," Kayla stated, playing with her hair. Jack held his wife close, feeling that she needed it. "I'm sure everything will be alright in the end." He piped up, wanting to reassure them. But deep down, he wasn't sure himself. "I bet whatever this is will get resolved. Before it gets worse."

"