𝙴𝚗𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚕𝚎𝚍

B: I just found out about the party.
B: Theo's not gonna be coming to the restaurant for, like a week, now.
B: That boy is such a headache, istg
A: I'm grounding Josh. He's not gonna play baseball for some time
A: Nah, they deserve it, fr
B: omg i forgot to wash the dishes
A: Lmaoo you're dead
B: OMG MY WIFE'S GONNA KILL ME

***

Closing the chat and reclining into my chair, I took a deep breath. I was very disappointed in Josh and Theo. I mean, they weren't kids anymore. They ought to know the difference between good and bad. But I guess they're teenagers, and idiots, and--

Leave it.

I'd decided Josh was grounded. I wasn't gonna let him put extra time into baseball, he wouldn't be meeting Theo, and I'd be taking him to the restaurant for around two weeks to wash the dishes and all. Fitting, isn't it? Right now, I was sitting inside my office at Bib's, taking a break from all the chaos surrounding me. How did life get so...frustrating? 

Suddenly, a knock on the door interrupted me and I got up, only to see Amy standing there. I gave her a weary smile, and then held open the door for her. She had a tray of breakfast in her hands which she put on my table.

"What happened?" I asked as I sat down.

"Nothing. Much. Scrap that, I got you breakfast."

"How'd you know I didn't eat it?"

"You've been cooped up in here since you came. Was my guess right?"

I didn't reply, but instead took the piece of toast and fried egg, savouring the taste, because I really did not have anything to eat, and my mind was numb.

"See? Told ya. I also wanted to tell you that we've encountered a problem with an oven, and it's overheating or something, so call the mechanic or whatever before it explodes."

"Yeah, sure." I muttered. Why was I being so dry?

"Is everything alright? I mean, you patched up with Lily, didn't you?"

"I did, but then we got into another fight."

"Oh, God, what happened now ?"

I filled her in about Josh and Theo, Lily's incompetence, and how I was really angry at her for not even bothering with asking Josh and Theo about where they were going. I also told her that we got over that fight, but I felt...suffocated and didn't know what to do about it. My married life wasn't supposed to be this hard, but it was, and I felt like I would give in.

"You love her, right?"

I nodded.

"Then that's all you need. Every relationship, whether with your parents, or your siblings, or your wife, all of them require effort. And all of them have their ups and downs. That doesn't mean we should just give up on them. It means we should work harder to make sure those relationships don't deteriorate. If you truly love her, Atlas, then that's more than enough for you both."

I silently contemplated her words. They did make sense, but I was still too numb and weak to comprehend anything. She saw her words didn't have a lot of influence on me.

"You need some more food, mister. Lemme bring you another round of toast and fried eggs." she said as she got up and went outside.

"A cup of coffee too!" I shouted after her, and heard her chuckle lowly.

"Get one yourself, then!"

***

After eating some more, I felt replenished and much better. Finally coming out, I wore my apron and set to work, first calling up a mechanic to review the oven and fix it before it caused more problems. Amy beckoned me over and I took the chicken I'd been washing to her station. While I mixed it, she brought along some spices and helped me marinate it. 

"Better now?"

"A lot. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Did you think about what I told you?"

"Yeah. Since when did you become the one to hand over deep philosophical comments like that?"

"I've always been like that. Much too intelligent for people like you to comprehend."

"In your dreams."

"Dreams can turn into reality too."

"Stop."

"Nope. It's so fun annoying you."

"What do you get from torturing me like this?"

"Amusement."

"Being blunt, aren't we?"

"Whatever you say."

"Stop." I repeated.

"Amusement."

I stopped talking and picked up the bowl, mixing it all one last time before putting it back and taking out a tray, on which I laid all the chicken pieces one by one. Amy took it from me and placed them aside, covering them with plastic wrap, so they could be properly marinated. Amy brought an order slip and we set to work in a comfortable silence. 

"Wanna grab some coffee later?" I asked, considering I didn't my cup of joe along with my breakfast. 

"Same café as the first time?"

"Of course."

She just smiled and nodded, going back to kneading the dough for the pizza she was preparing. I just shook my head and grinned. 

I'd found a good friend in her. And for that, I was glad.

***

"Who is this?" Amy muttered as she took out her phone, which had been buzzing for a while now. I just took a sip of my coffee, grimacing as the scalding hot liquid went down my throat, and left a lingering taste behind. 

"Yes. How can I help you?" she replied to whoever was on the phone. She kept talking back and forth with that person, and my curiosity peaked. She sounded a bit distressed but pleasantly surprised at the same time. The conversation went on for a few minutes, before she hung up and took a deep breath. I could tell something was up, but I didn't probe.

"Remember my boyfriend?" she suddenly said and I merely nodded.

"Well, he has an ex-wife I've never met. And...a daughter. The ex-wife just called. He said she was gonna call and probably meet me before I could be around her daughter."

That reminded me of Ryle and Lily's predicament. But what were the odds of them being the same person. Impossible, right?

"What's his name?" I asked casually.

"Ryle Kincaid."

I almost choked on the coffee I'd been drinking. Sputtering and coughing madly, I looked at her, confused. 

"Are you alright?" she asked, concerned and patting me on the back.

What could I have told her?

***

1.3K views?! Oh my God, thank you! This means so much to me <3

Now quickly upvote this chapter too! I need like, at least 5 upvotes for the next chapter.